7th Annual Father's Day Run

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I will be leading our seventh annual Father's Day trail ride Sunday June 18th. The trail is moderate to difficult. It used to do-able in a stocker with a good driver, but in recent years has become more difficult for a stocker, so 33s and a rear locker are recommended. With a small group, this is a half day trail. This run has become very popular and will probably take longer. As always, the amount of time will depend on our group size, trail traffic and (hopefully not) breakage or mechanical issues. Tools and spares are recommended. We will be in cell phone coverage most of the way, and within hiking distance of civilization.

We will meet at the McDonalds at the El Rancho (Evergreen Parkway) exit of I-70 at 8:00AM and depart at 8:30 AM. We used to start later, but an earlier start may help us avoid too much trail traffic. The trailhead is off the Downieville exit of I-70. We will start on CB channel 4, but if we get stepped on by too many others we will switch to channel 5.

The trail starts near Downieville, and ends up either at I-70 in Georgetown or on CO-103 near Chicago Creek, depending on the route out we choose to take. The trail gets progressively more difficult as we go up until we reach the rock garden. The "big obstacle" is the rock garden near the top. There is sort of a winding bypass, but it too is difficult, and has become more so in recent years. There are several interesting obstacles before that, including a steep shelf that might remind you of Moab, some whoop dee doos right after that, a hill where we had a rollover last year but has a bypass, another dirt hill with no bypass, a difficult rocky hill after a sharp left with no bypass, and then the rock garden. After the rock garden the trail is still difficult until we reach the meadow at the top. After the meadow, it is an easy Subaru-grade drive out on dirt forest roads to either I-70 or CO-103.

Traffic back to Denver has been an issue the last several years, with stop and go on I-70. Last year we discovered how to take the frontage roads all the way from Georgetown to Idaho Springs, where the traffic generally thins out. We will play it by ear (or eyes) and see what route we take home. If we drop down into Georgetown, you can see whether I-70 is clogged with traffic from the switchbacks high above.

There were links to reports from previous runs from the old forum, I'll see what I can do to provide some visuals of what to expect. Bring lunch, water (lots), your father, kids, your camera and permagrin. This is always a fun trail and good time.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Here's Farnham in his 40 at the Rock Garden:

Attachments

• 0506190055.JPG
    0506190055.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 276

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Jim Toepper in his 40 at the Rock Garden (note: when you lead the trail you have few opportunites for photgraphing :)

Attachments

• 0506190051.JPG
    0506190051.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 271

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
subzali said:
Forgot to ask, does anybody think my truck will have issues running Spring Creek? I have a couple pictures in my tire thread, but the highlights are that I have a Lockright in the rear and I'm getting new tires on Thursday - I stayed with the 31 x 10.50 MT/R, I think I'll be happier with that size (just for now, until the truck grows). My rocker panels are trimmed about 3 1/2 inches higher than stock, and my rear wheel well is about 1 inch higher than stock. My tailpipe hangs below my skid plate, but that's getting fixed ;) next week so I'm not concerned if it gets banged up. Any thoughts?
Matt, it really depends the most on the nut behind the wheel. A locker makes the most difference in being able to get up a given trail, after driver skill in my opinion, then tires, etc., etc. We'll be there to spot you.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
8AM on Fathers day. I thought it was going to be 9, don't know if I can get the princesses up that early. Have to see.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
We used to do nine, which is more my personal preference. The two issues driving an earlier start are trail traffic and then highway traffic on the way back.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Wow, the trail has changed in 5 years... THAT will be an issue for us sooner or later...
Who's this guy? Looks like he lost his hood!
Holy hoods, Batman!
Only now, it's a holey hood....

The first time I ran that trail with the group, I met Oleg, and one thing led to another... and that led to the reason for the missing hood. Is Oleg gonna go this year? I wonder what that will lead to...

I wonder if Oleg has a blower laying about looking for a home..... :grinpimp: :drool:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Red_Chili said:
Wow, the trail has changed in 5 years... THAT will be an issue for us sooner or later...

Holy hoods, Batman!
Only now, it's a holey hood....

The first time I ran that trail with the group, I met Oleg, and one thing led to another... and that led to the reason for the missing hood. Is Oleg gonna go this year? I wonder what that will lead to...

I wonder if Oleg has a blower laying about looking for a home..... :grinpimp: :drool:
Hi Bill, not sure what you mean by issue for us. If you mean cleaning it up, I believe one of the MHJ patrols has it adopted. If you mean that it's gotten more and more difficult, then yes, it already is an issue.

Are you planning to go? In fact, I'd appreciate if everyone who is going or thinking of going, please sound off here so I have some idea what size group to expect. If it gets over about 15-20 rigs we may split into two groups.

For the record, I have gone to plan B for my own rig: drive it exactly the way it is (except for putting a working CB in it). Plan A was to put a rebuilt angine in it and 4 speed conversion, but parts haven't come in anywhere near when they were supposed to, and even if the straggler parts arrive Friday as they're supposed to, it would just be cutting it too close.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
'Issue' meaning, somebody will squeak about erosion and we (the OHV community) will need to pony up and do some reroutes, erosion barriers, etc. or see the trail lost.

Yep, me gonna be there. I understand GreenMachine will be too.

FJBen

Sorry guys, can't be there this year, it's my daughters B-day :Princess: so I'm sure we'll have plenty planned.... maybe next year?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Red_Chili said:
'Issue' meaning, somebody will squeak about erosion and we (the OHV community) will need to pony up and do some reroutes, erosion barriers, etc. or see the trail lost.

Yep, me gonna be there. I understand GreenMachine will be too.
Okay; maybe we need to get with MHJ and see about helping them out?

Head count so far: 3
Me
Bill Morgan
John Henley

Who else?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
i'm out. we were planning on camping and fishing at chicago creek, and there is no way I am going to get camp broke, the kid and the wife fed, and trail ready at the trail head in time.

We're going to take the pickemup truck, and maybe we'll drive to the top and hike down to watch the shananagins at the garden.

j

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I love this trail, but we'll be camping near Leadville. So it's a no go, no show for me.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Me and my dad are planning to be there in the 40!

It's a maybe for me. I'm a little nervous about my transfer case. It hasn't given me any troubles yet, but...

the Other Matt

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
green machine said:
maybe we'll drive to the top and hike down to watch the shananagins at the garden.
LOL! I seem to remember when you first joined us on this run, you were in your Range Rover, but in our group, while the REAL shananagins were with the Solihul group ahead of us :)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
gcmandrake said:
It's a maybe for me. I'm a little nervous about my transfer case. It hasn't given me any troubles yet, but...

the Other Matt
YOIKS! Sumbunny bring straps... I don't think the classic Morgan baling-wire-and-rebar-fix is ISO certified for tcases. Bring a trail cleanup kit for auto tranny fluid...:eek: