• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

4th Annual Spooky Night Run - Sat, Oct. 29

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
I take it! That this is a entertaining run, full of excitement and intrigue? Haunted house at the top with some chains rattling around, and some ghostly figures roaming the night. Count me in!

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Cool! Glad you guys can come out!

Wes, just drive the VW to Burger King and hop in with someone.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Evrgrnmtnman said:
I take it! That this is a entertaining run, full of excitement and intrigue? Haunted house at the top with some chains rattling around, and some ghostly figures roaming the night. Count me in!

Not to worry that's just dinner rattling around under the hood of the Snackster! :D

wesintl

RS Moderator
I may do that Tim.. Getting it fixed isn't the problem.. It's getting the part by then... You pretty much have to order EVERYTHING for a 3B here. :eek:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Sorry Nakman......

.....to hijack the thread again. Anyone know TIMMBUCK2's name? He has gone into hiding since asking if I work at Denver Water. Sent a PM but he hasn't responded. TIMMBUCK2 I'm not really as mean as Uncle Ben claims I am.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Crash said:
.....to hijack the thread again. Anyone know TIMMBUCK2's name? He has gone into hiding since asking if I work at Denver Water. Sent a PM but he hasn't responded. TIMMBUCK2 I'm not really as mean as Uncle Ben claims I am.

....as long as he isn't wearing his hockey mask toting a chainsaw...you are somewhat safe!

(There...that starts to bring it back to topic :) )

Here is a pic of Crash on an evening run on Nugget Hill one eerie night.... :eek: :D

Attachments

• leather%20face%2012.jpg
    leather%20face%2012.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Jones Pass is spooky to me for sure! A few years back I lost my 300 Honda Fourtrax off that edge of the pass at the top! The snow "didn't seem too bad" and there was a strip of dirt at the edge nearly all the way. About 20 yards into that section the ATV was determined to get too close to the edge for my comfort. I hopped off and slid the ATV, by hand, back on the road away from the edge. As soon as I started forward motion it immediately slid to the edge and started sliding further! :eek: I hopped off again and hung on to the back but gravity was not playing fair. I hung on trying to dig in my heels and stop the decent but after about 10 or more feet and starting to pick up speed I turned loose....heck....it's an ATV...indestructable right? The speed that the Honda was traveling was beyond belief!!!! Just when I thought it couldn't get worse the ATV hit a large rock and went airborn. After every hit again on the ground it not only flew higher/faster but it was becoming like a turbine in a jet engine! As it was getting what I thought was most of the way down the hill it disappeared....whew. I thought it finally stopped.....after a second or two(seemed like minutes) I heard it "hit" again, more crashing then quiet....but then it "hit" again and continued to horrify me with the sound of disintergrating ATV. It went ALL the way to the bottom! I did hike down to a point I could see it and decided to go home and come up the next day with Wildrice and some help. We did retrieve it but it was not repairable. So yes ole Jones and I have history. Would I offer my 40th Anniversary 80 to ole Jones? Not in my lifetime! Would I do it if the snow is not bad....maybe. I have done the whole pass in the early fall and it is georgeous! Great Grouse and Ptarmigan hunting! So yes I will do the run but going over the top of Jones this year probably isn't in my future unless it is on foot! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Uncle Ben said:
Jones Pass is spooky to me for sure! A few years back I lost my 300 Honda Fourtrax off that edge of the pass at the top! The snow "didn't seem too bad" and there was a strip of dirt at the edge nearly all the way. About 20 yards into that section the ATV was determined to get too close to the edge for my comfort. I hopped off and slid the ATV, by hand, back on the road away from the edge. As soon as I started forward motion it immediately slid to the edge and started sliding further! :eek: I hopped off again and hung on to the back but gravity was not playing fair. I hung on trying to dig in my heels and stop the decent but after about 10 or more feet and starting to pick up speed I turned loose....heck....it's an ATV...indestructable right? The speed that the Honda was traveling was beyond belief!!!! Just when I thought it couldn't get worse the ATV hit a large rock and went airborn. After every hit again on the ground it not only flew higher/faster but it was becoming like a turbine in a jet engine! As it was getting what I thought was most of the way down the hill it disappeared....whew. I thought it finally stopped.....after a second or two(seemed like minutes) I heard it "hit" again, more crashing then quiet....but then it "hit" again and continued to horrify me with the sound of disintergrating ATV. It went ALL the way to the bottom! I did hike down to a point I could see it and decided to go home and come up the next day with Wildrice and some help. We did retrieve it but it was not repairable. So yes ole Jones and I have history. Would I offer my 40th Anniversary 80 to ole Jones? Not in my lifetime! Would I do it if the snow is not bad....maybe. I have done the whole pass in the early fall and it is georgeous! Great Grouse and Ptarmigan hunting! So yes I will do the run but going over the top of Jones this year probably isn't in my future unless it is on foot! :rolleyes:

Hmm, maybe it's a good thing i'm going to Tj's party instead of the run(free beer, and I have no $$$). Never even heard of the pass till Nakman brought it up. Looks like an area to explore next year.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Wow!!! Great story, I can totally picture your ATV bombing down the hillside.. sorry that happened and all, but well told!

Don't worry, we'll be very safe come Saturday.

edit: Gee, I must have missed the "party at TJ's" post.. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• thefinger.gif
    thefinger.gif
    181 bytes · Views: 237
Last edited:

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Jones Pass
Clear Creek County, Colorado

Nearby Towns: Empire
Nearby Trails: Bill Moore Lake, Kingston Peak, Jenny Creek
Trail Length: 9 miles

This is a gorgeous drive and could easily be done in a sedan or car with 4-wheel drive. It climbs to the Continental Divide in a series of switchbacks. You are on a ledge with a steep drop-off but none of the areas are skinny or dangerous if you're paying attention.

The scenery is gorgeous and there is a large playground at the bottom filled with mud if you're lucky.
Low-End Rating: 1
High-End Rating: 3

Just hope there's no trees around.............. :D :D :D :D

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Unfortunately I will not be able to make the spooky night run. I have mechanical issues with both my rigs, and physical issues with me. I was really looking forward to it too!

:-(

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Fyi

Saturday Night
Lo: 20
Mostly Cloudy. Scattered Snow Showers And Isolated Rain Showers In The Evening...then Scattered snow Showers After Midnight. Lows In The 20s To Upper 30s. Chance Of Precipitation 40 Percent.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Evrgrnmtnman said:
Fyi

Saturday Night
Lo: 20
Mostly Cloudy. Scattered Snow Showers And Isolated Rain Showers In The Evening...then Scattered snow Showers After Midnight. Lows In The 20s To Upper 30s. Chance Of Precipitation 40 Percent.

Darn....gonna have to have climate control turned up to 80 and maybe even the rear heater going. :p I'll have the 20 cup coffee pot ready to throw on the burner. Any kids or kids at heart going that need hot cocoa? Speak up now!

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
screw the coffee, i want cocoa!!!!!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I second! :cheers:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Couldn't ask for better weather.. been dry all week, so our tracks from Sunday have had ample time to melt down by now. A few inches of fresh snow will make it all that more enjoyable, with decent traction underneath!

Yes, cocoa for me too please.. just hold off on the "additives" until we're down off the hill! ;) On that, if we get off the mountain at a decent hour we may consider invating Tommyknocker's or something on the way back down. Think about it..

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Man sounds like a great run. But, I won't be able to make it. Since I just got back from my hunting trip, my wife has other plans for me.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Temporary hi-jack...

JadeRunner said:
Man sounds like a great run. But, I won't be able to make it. Since I just got back from my hunting trip, my wife has other plans for me.

How was the hunting trip Scott?

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I didn't get one. My buddie got a cow, that was it. We didn't see many at all. They seemed to be staying in the woods, out all night feeding under the moon. Sunny days, old loud snow. You know the story. It wasn't good for most people we met either.