4th Annual Spooky Night Run - Sat, Oct. 29

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
That's right kids, the long awaited spooky night run is finally here. Someone can correct me on the "4th annual" thing if they know better, but my notes have:

#1, 2002, Gillespie Gulch, led by Mike Aaron
#2, 2003, Castle Gulch, led by Mike Aaron
#3, 2004, Gillespie Gulch, led by yours truly.

and finally *drumroll....................................................................................*

#4, 2005, Jones Pass! Yup, that's right, that pass that's just past Empire above the Henderson mine. But if you thought this was going to be a weeny run, think again. Today a stealth prerunner group comprised of myself, Crash, Powderpig, and Bobo met in the early dawn to assess conditions, and we all got our money's worth to say the least. To start, there are now patches of snow that start just after the parking lot below. I should point out that reason #1 to run this today was to make sure there wasn't already an "established" cross country or showshoe route, since this is a very popular winter area. But no way, it was snow & dirt, mostly dirt, the whole way up to the turnoff, so no conflict there. (if it's too snowy, the backup location is somewhere around Bill Moore Lake). So presuming the mountains don't get much snow this week, we should be good to go for this area on Saturday.

Once we made the turn from the main pass, we quickly found ourselves in about a foot of what appeared to be about two-week old snow. Being in the lead, I had a blast getting way too much momentum to get up and through some areas. Had to twist the magic dial more than a few times to get through some of it. I couldn't believe that the whole road was untracked, since last time I ran it it seemed pretty popular, in fact I even encountered a vehicle coming down while I was going up.

Anyway, the first fun project of the day was moving an abandoned Chevy 2WD with a completely broken front end off of the road. I remember seeing this about 4 weeks ago, but someone must have gone back up and tried to yank it out.. then couldn't, and left the rear end sticking out in the trail. It would have been passable had the trail been completely dry, but was pretty obvious that we would have slid down into it. So with some creative winching, we pulled it off the road so the group could pass.

Next fun project was almost to the top. Must have been the wind, but a good sized tree had recently fallen, completely blocking the road. It was easily 40' long, and 18-20" in diameter towards the bottom section. No way any person, or group of people, could have moved it without tools. Hmm.. maybe that's why no one's been on this road lately? So again, after some creative snatch blocking, a little sawing, the trail was clear and we were at the top. Best part of the day for me (other than the great weather, great company, and driving the best vehicles ever that is..) was all the stuff we got to use! Straps, gloves, snatch block, hand throttle, winch, bumpers... suddenly all those mods came together. Needless to say, I was smiling all morning long.

Next

Attachments

• jones_start.jpg
    jones_start.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 3,350
  • jones_tree2.jpg
    jones_tree2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 336
  • jones_tree1.jpg
    jones_tree1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So in case you didn't catch it in one of the previous night run threads:

Date: Saturday, October 29th
Time: 5:00 pm is when we'll meet
where: Burger King parking lot in Downieville. That's exit 234, last one before Berthoud Pass.
Bring: Warm clothes. And a hat. And some gloves, and a jacket.. and some more warm clothes. Also bring your Toyota obviously, as well as your friends & family. Also bring some munchie food to share, I'll pop for the main course though.

We'll meet at Burger King, then drive up to the trail head where those who choose to can air down (not a requirement if you're not doing the "run," recommended if you are). Then we'll all drive up to the cookout spot, maybe get a fire going if some folks want to stay and not do the run. Then all those who want to do "the run" will drive back down the pass, then turn up the hill... should take about an hour to do the whole loop, even with some screwing around time. Once reunited, we'll share some food & stories back at the cookout site.

Any stocker can make it up to the cookout site. I'd probably give that a 1.5 or 2 out of 5. For the run, I'd suggest at least 31's & a locker.. open trucks can do it though, but will almost definitely require a strap in places, unless a lot more melting occurs between now and Saturday. After today, I'd rate the run as a 3 out of 5. Don't forget to dress your truck up for Halloween, you've still got time to hook up those rock lights. See you Saturday night!

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
fun in spooky run

Thanks for leading the run Tim. After you left we went not too much futher, a little bit above tree line and towards jones pass, when the snow and angle combined to stop the cruisers (no proper tires or chains).
Any how a stocker would do ok with chains on the front driving axle if you wanted to tackle it. Now I am not talking about cable chains, but real chains in what ever pattern that you have. If you have 2 sets of 2 all the better. If the weather is nice to us and we have a full moon, the bowl above tree line will make for some wonder sites after the sun sets.
Any way after we left Bobo, Crash(with Suzie and the dogs) and I went over to do Bill Moore lake. All went well until the last hill long shady hill down to the bog area before the lake. We ran into some guys and gals with j**ps and as Crash was getting off the trail to allow them to come up the hill, slide a little off the side. Not too bad, but enough to brake the winch out again to get him back on the trail. Then the high light was the broken cheerokee. He ad borken a U-joint in the stub axle and left him with 1 wheel drive. This older man with a built Jeep commando(one real mean machine). pulled him up the hill. it took too runs for the cammando to be able to pul him up the hill. The first time they did not have enough momentium to make it and both slide down backwards for a bit, was scary thing to watch considering if they mess up both would be off the side of the trail. but they final made it up(the one being pulled come real close to steves truck on the way up).
Steve and I carried on and the rest was uneventiful except the wonderful views and clear blue skies. any how looking forward to next weekend. later robbie

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Snow Fun

Oops, says it all. Just warm enough that packed snow turned icy pretty quickly, making for interesting conditions. Tim, we had a great day and thanks for getting Suzie and I up to an area we had never explored - we'll have to go back for more. As Robbie pointed out, the Bill Moore Lake area was pretty dry for the most part. Lots of hunters, though. Have fun this weekend on the Spooky Night Run and ya'll better wear your woolies!!
Steve

Last edited:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
hey!

Crash said:
Oops, says it all. Just warm enough that packed snow turned icy pretty quickly, making for interesting conditions. Tim, we had a great day and thanks for getting Suzie and I up to an area we had never explored - we'll have to go back for more. As Robbie pointed out, the Bill Moore Lake area was pretty dry for the most part. Lots of hunters, though. Have fun this weekend on the Spooky Night Run and ya'll better wear your woolies!!
Steve

Who owns that truck in the pic? You work at Denver Water??

T

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
heheh

Uncle Ben said:
He does indeed!

Me, too. I was admiring his truck in the parking lot last week. I usually park out front and never saw his truck (or the LX out there). very cool!! Now I need to find him at work!

Timm

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I still need to meet up and see the Mercury ;)

Crash

Rising Sun Member
First "Oops" and now "Oh Crap, my cover is blown". Tim, what section do you work in and how long have been there? Haven't seen a built 80 in the parking lot there, ever. I'm in Engineering. X6644 - gimme a call.
Steve

timmbuck2 said:
Me, too. I was admiring his truck in the parking lot last week. I usually park out front and never saw his truck (or the LX out there). very cool!! Now I need to find him at work!

Timm

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Alright chatty- you guys going on the night run on what??

Just got back from Costco with some fixins... :D

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
steve...that really can't be your 62 slipping off track! your rig is way to awesome to do that! nice to see it's not as invincible as i thought :D

have missed you...when you gonna pop around more often!!!

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i plan on being there.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Mercy, Ige, thank you! What you don't see is the h**p Dangler that was stopped in the trail when i got to that point and it was pretty narrow there. Still, it was driver error on my part to get that close to the edge. As Tim said earlier in this thread, it was fun using all of the toys we had at our disposal that day and this spot required about a minute's worth of winching to get back to where I needed to be. D'oh!
Wish I could make the night run - night runs rock and Tim leads good ones - but I will be in Kansas City watching my nephew play his last football game of the season. He plays for the same school I played for a few short years ago. Uh, 37 of them to be exact. :eek: :eek:

nuclearlemon said:
steve...that really can't be your 62 slipping off track! your rig is way to awesome to do that! nice to see it's not as invincible as i thought :D

have missed you...when you gonna pop around more often!!!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Me and my dad'll be there! I think CJ7 Matt will be there too! What do we need to bring for eats?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Awesome! Just bring some munchy stuff to share.. also I'm thinking now we'll do the cookout earlier, then the run later. Will make more sense that way, plus after the run if folks want to drive further up the pass to check out the view they're already halfway there. See you this weekend!

how burly is this run?

My mom is in town this weekend, and I'd really like to go. I know it's halloween and all, but I don't want to scare the crap out of my mom if I can avoid it. Sounds like a real good time.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I'll be there :)

I threw my back out again so it should be exciting in the 40. I never let it stop me before so why start now. :D

wesintl

RS Moderator
2nd spooky run I can't make. I need a new diaphram. old one had a rip and for you non dieselers it's causing me to idle at like 2k. :mad: Oh well Central Motive Power has one on order for me... :D

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
You have Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and most of Saturday to get that fixed :D