• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

3 speed vs 4 speed pics?

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
OK, been searching on Mud and Google and SOR and various places, and do not have a definitive picture of the differences between 3 speed and 4 speed trannies and tcases. Any hints? Could be helpful as I search for the elusive 4 speed tcase...

Thanks.

T

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Does the 3spd tcase have an aluminum housing like the 4spd?

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
OK, been searching on Mud and Google and SOR and various places, and do not have a definitive picture of the differences between 3 speed and 4 speed trannies and tcases. Any hints? Could be helpful as I search for the elusive 4 speed tcase...

Thanks.

T

A three speed transmission is the size of a cantaloupe. A four speed transmission is the size of a watermelon.

T-cases are all spec-ed out here:
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/cases.php
and
http://www.kinzers.com/don/landcruiser/tcase_tech/
and
http://cjford.stormloader.com/Tech/transfer1.htm
and...

Does the 3spd tcase have an aluminum housing like the 4spd?

yes

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
input cutout on the bellhousing on a three speed is round, 4 speed is peanut shaped

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
input cutout on the bellhousing on a three speed is round, 4 speed is peanut shaped

does that mean the tranny itself has a difference?

ok, thanks for the links Root, but I am more confused now. :rolleyes: (big surprise) As I understand it, I would need a "4 speed" tcase to work with my 4 speed tranny...the pics from the links show 3 "3 speed" tcases and 3 "4 speed tcases" and show the differences between a brittle case and a softer case, and between a 3 speed case and a non-USA case, but the 70 - 1/75 (3 speed) case looks exactly like the '74 - 7/78 and the 7/78 - 7/80 4 speed tcases. What obvious thing am I overlooking here? :) Thanks.

T

wesintl

RS Moderator

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee

wesintl

RS Moderator
Yes on the 4 speed input shaft end it's more of an 8.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Timm, You're still welcome to my 4-speed t-case shell. It was set up with 3-speed gears when I took them out to put them in my Orion. So the idler gear should be "set". And my offer is still good for helping you put some 3-speed gears into the 4-speed case if you get the rebuild kit and the conversion gear kit. The only other thing you will need besides a gasket to go between the tranny and the transfer case is the bolts for the 4-speed t-case to bolt to the 4-speed tranny. I don't have any extra of those. :D

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Bring it over here. I even have a parts washer. :D

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

Below, a 3 speed housing is on the left, 4 speed on the right.

Attachments

• bellhousings.jpg
    bellhousings.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 164

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
The only other thing you will need besides a gasket to go between the tranny and the transfer case is the bolts for the 4-speed t-case to bolt to the 4-speed tranny. I don't have any extra of those. :D
As I discovered when I did my 4 speed tranny to 3 speed t-case conversion, you will also need a spacer for the tranny output shaft so the washer and bolt will fit, and you *may* need a spacer for the PTO gear if the t-case originally had a PTO gear.

I had a number of "gotchas" that came up during the install which I had never read about or heard about before.