2F Refresh

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Worry worry worry. Right after the ham radio meetings we'll have a get together and all look and see who has it!

Ok, I think we have hijacked kvanoort's thread enough.

2F Update and Parts List Request

Just thought I would post an update on my 2F engine rebuild and ask if anyone has a good list of all the parts I'm going to need for the project. I appreciated the machine shop recommendations but I've taken the block, crank, head, and all the pieces to Smith Racing. Tom Smith was highly recommended by Kip Valdez of Metal Works Performance Engineering. Tom doesn't usually work on imports but he has done one other 2F in the past. So, I dropped everything off and Tom measured the bore to determine if it had ever been machined before and it hadn't. Tom also had a 2F Factory Repair Manual on hand which made me feel a little better about taking my motor project to him.

With that as background, does anyone have any suggestions, advice, things I should pass along to Tom before he gets started. Since I bought the 2F motor as a used motor that hasn't been running since who knows when and since the cylinder bores are a little rusty and scored I'm going to have them machined to the first oversize. The crank is in good shape but has a few grooves. It's right on the borderline so I'm just going to have that turned too. I really want to do everything right the first time on this motor so that I know the powerplant solid.

As for parts, if nobody has an existing list of all the various parts, gaskets, etc. for rebuilding a 2F that they could share I would greatly appreciate it. I'll pay you back in :beer: . Otherwise, I'll go ahead and create one and share it with the board. Are there any specific parts that should be OEM? I'm willing to pay for OEM if they are truely better parts.

Thanks in advance for your help. Let me know if you would like to see any pictures of the progress.

Kent

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
There are lots of local Toyota dealers that have knowledgeable parts counter guys. I usually deal with Jerry and Joe at Burt Toyota. Stevinson is another good bet. Or you could call Cruiser Dan at American Toyota in Albuquerque.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Boulder Toy is the closest dealership. Talk to Jerry the parts manager....he will get ya hooked up!

Thanks. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
:cheers:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Way cool, Kent. Looks like a fun project. Hopefully you were able to take back the after market parts you didn't use. What color are you going to paint it? :D

Bill Hirsch Paint

I purchased some Black, Hi-temp, Engine Enamel from Bill Hirsch Auto.

Here's a link: http://www.hirschauto.com/newpages/paint.htm

As for all the extra aftermarket parts, I have a 1974 F block sitting in the garage that might be a future project.

Time to get busy out in the garage. I'll post some new pics of today's progress.