• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

2F back into the 40

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Im kind of stuck now as to what to do. I took the ps out and the front diff. What should i do with the diff? Can i swap 3'rds and get wheel spacers for the rear? Or can i take the disks off that one and put them on the 40's? Im kinda lost :eek:

When you say "diff" or "3rds" are you talking about the entire axle assembly?

If you want to swap the FJ60 axle into the 40 you will be in for a lot of work. The placement of the differential makes it tough to swap in. Typically people have to outboard (move the spring hangers outside of the frame) to get it to line up with the spring perches. It is a great swap since you get more width for stability.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Easiest would be just to pull everything from the knuckles outward and swap them on to your 40. It might take some grinding on the housing to get the axle shafts in.

This is what I suggested yesterday. I'm sure some of us can help you. Might as well get the front axle service kit (seals, bearings, etc.) from Jerry at Boulder Toyota. Then swap the knuckles, outer axles, brakes and hubs from the 60 front axle to the 40. People commonly use the 60 outer axles and grind their knuckles, but you shouldn't have to do that if you swap the 60 knuckles over.

HTH

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
You probably want to stick with the 40 diffs. The gearing will be 4.11 in the 40 diffs, as long as the 40 is pre-1979. The 60 series had 3.73 diffs -- better for highway driving, not as good for wheelin'.

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Easiest would be just to pull everything from the knuckles outward and swap them on to your 40. It might take some grinding on the housing to get the axle shafts in.

Thanks for the pics. Can't wait!

This is what I suggested yesterday. I'm sure some of us can help you. Might as well get the front axle service kit (seals, bearings, etc.) from Jerry at Boulder Toyota. Then swap the knuckles, outer axles, brakes and hubs from the 60 front axle to the 40. People commonly use the 60 outer axles and grind their knuckles, but you shouldn't have to do that if you swap the 60 knuckles over.

HTH

K Ill do that.......Hopefully :)

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Of these two i need the circled one right?

fj40146-1.jpg

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Yes. You can separate them by dropping the inner axle through a piece of SCH 40 steel pipe. It'll come right apart.

You'll need some new c-clips when you put it together. That's part # 55 in the picture.

Attachments

• 080A2.gif
    080A2.gif
    13.8 KB · Views: 168

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Kinda off topic but i got a new truck and i found this military trailer up in fort collins. Anyone know what model this is? Its titled as a homebuilt. Im going to put the 40 on the back burner and clean the trailer up but i did get the disks on the 40.
pants037.jpg

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Nice trailer...I'd like to have something like that myself :)

Would it be a M101 or M416 or something like that? Basic design looks about right.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Very cool trailer. A few more pics and we can give you a positve ID, it looks like a Bantam... does it have a tailgate? Nice looking cover on it too!

Too cool.

Drew

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Here are some more pics. It does have a fold down gate. I think your right Drew, it does look like a Bantam (from the few pics on google)
The cover is made of plywood it has metal top and roof rack kind of thing. The top is removable, what do you guys think should i clean it up and keep it on or toss it and get a cover made? There isnt any rust through, just some surface rust inside. Im going to rhino line the inside and paint it a military green. The po owned since 1970, and used it to haul food from denver to his corner store up by this lake.
I paid $400 too much?
pants042.jpg

pants041.jpg

wesintl

RS Moderator
good deal.. it's either a bantam or willies..

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Here's some progress on the trailer. I still have to rhino line the inside and i want to move the jerry cans down a bit. Whats the best way to make a cover?
pants046.jpg

pants044.jpg

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Great looking trailer. I would move the cans down as well. Most folks are making a steel lid with gas struts to raise it up like a hard cover for a truck bed.

You can still get a sweet canvas/vinyl cover off ebay for those as well. It all depends what you want to do with it.

Very cool man! FWIW, I think 400 is a great deal. These things are seeing a huge increase in popularity lately.

Drew

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
x2....If you ever come across another let me know...Something tells me Drew isn't going to give me that trailer he is building once he is done with it :hill:

I want something I can pull behind my 40 with the RTT mounted on top.

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Ill let you know if i see any. There is one on cl im not sure the model but the link is at the bottom. I want to put a RTT on mine as well but dont want to spend a 1k on one since i wouldnt use it that much. I keep reading about people on mud getting them for $350-400, i can only find a couple brands and there like $1500. If i could find one for $350-500 range ide take it. Anybody got any links?????
http://denver.craigslist.org/for/436232730.html

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks!

As for the RTT, here is the MUD review thread:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=108461

I'm not sure what the new ones are going for but the $350 ones were previous model close out deals that a few of us snatched up.

You might try PMing Jenny Cruiser as he was selling some and might have one left or know of one. Also, you might find someone here that bought one and now doesn't plan to use it and would be willing to sell it to you...The one I bought is still sitting in my garage, waiting to be used...I opened it once in the garage if that counts :) - They are "Mombasa" RTTs

Attachments

• 100_3065 (Medium).JPG
    100_3065 (Medium).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 133

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I have one exactly like the one Jeff just posted up I will sell. PM me if your interested. It is still in an unopened box!

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
So thanks to kevin (uncle ben) I got the RTT today, i made a rack, rhino lined the lid and mounted the tent, it looks sweet. Everything is pretty much done now i just have to get some gas sturts, i tried to use some spares i had from a 40's tailgate but there not strong enough. Its to late to take pics but ill take some in the morning. Oh and Kevin thanks again for bring the box cutter back :cheers: