• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

2F back into the 40

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Ok so i just bought a 75, The po took the original motor out because of a tick He also removed the stock motor mounts. I wanted to put a 2f into it so i bought a donor 82 fj60, mechanically very sound, its got ps, disks, AC, and a very rust free body (Which if you guys need anything off of it its yours) Ill take pics tomorrow.

Ive never done anything like this so im gonna have lots of questions. To start:

What should i do first?
I was thinking Ps and axle swap first?
What gears are in the 60? The 40 has 4.10's. Can i just use the front axle or do i have to swap out the rear too?
Do i have to get new motor mounts or can i use the ones that are on the 60?
If i Do have to get new ones, any recommendations?

Thats all i can think of right now... Thanks in advance guys :cheers:

Last edited:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I'll take a stab at this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

I think you might be able to swap the knuckles out from your 60 to your 40, and be good. Can you use your 40 tie rod on the 60 series steering arms, I don't know for sure. Otherwise, to swap the axles whole you'll have to re-do the spring perches because the 60 axles are wider. There is hardware available to do this. Your 40 should have 4.11 gears in it. Not sure what the 82 has. It might be 3.70.

I'm guessing you can use the front motor mounts from the 60, but if you have to round up some from a 40 somewhere, it shouldn't be too difficult to find. I think there are no rear mounts. The 60 uses a cross member under the tranny/transfer case, IIRC.

I did the 60 PS on my project 40 and would be happy to tell you what I did.

The 40's FAQ on IH8MUD is probably a great place to surf around a while for more answers.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I might have some motor mounts in my stash. You'd be welcome to them. Are you coming to the meeting tonight? I can bring them.

You'll need a bell housing for the FJ40 4-speed tranny as well. I can't help you there.

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
I wont be able to come to the meeting. But ill be heading into denver some time this week maybe we can meet then?
Cant i use the 4 speed thats on the 60? Everything is there, motor, tranny, t-case. The 60 was running/driving until i took the ps off yesterday

subzali

Hard Core 4+
60 series 2F swap shouldn't be too hard, it's pretty much the same engine. My order:

-Swap axles (both front and rear so that you have the same ratios front-to-rear), but replace the (likely) 3.70 60 series differential with the 4.11 40 series diff.

-Put in the engine

-Do the power steering. Don't know how close 60 series PS gets to motor mounts/engine, but better to have that all in place so you don't get the ps on and then realize the engine won't fit :doh:

-If the 40 still has the stock 4spd the FJ60 2F should bolt right up. You'll need adapters to go from Chevy 350 to Toyota 4spd or from 2F to TH350 (not sure if it's possible, but just throwing it out there)

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
FJ60 drive train is going to have a different parking brake than a 40 I believe. You also have to modify the accelerator linkage if I'm envisioning it correctly. You can use the front motor mounts from the 60. Not sure if the trans and TC from a 60 will be in the correct location for the trans tunnel and cross member to line up without modification.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I
Cant i use the 4 speed thats on the 60? Everything is there, motor, tranny, t-case. The 60 was running/driving until i took the ps off yesterday

Yes. You can. But the bell housing for the 60 may not have the holes for the motor mounts you'll need for the FJ40. That's why you may need to track down a FJ40 bell housing and the mounts and the brackets.

60 series 2F swap shouldn't be too hard, it's pretty much the same engine.

-Put in the engine

-If the 40 still has the stock 4spd the FJ60 2F should bolt right up. You'll need adapters to go from Chevy 350 to Toyota 4spd or from 2F to TH350 (not sure if it's possible, but just throwing it out there)

Again, all you should need is a bell housing for an H42 tranny for an FJ40.

What you'll be missing with the FJ60 split t-case is the parking brake assembly. If the PO left you the t-case from the '75 they use that and you're in business.

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Thanks for the info guys, ill start searching for that bellhousing. So i just have to take the bellhousing from a 4speed 40 and stick it on the 60's 4speed right?

I do have the stock t-case should i just bolt that to the tranny or should i just use the parking brake assembly?

Anybody want these wheels? Ill put them in the classifieds to.
There are 4 of them
fj40136.jpg

Last edited:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
So i just have to take the bellhousing from a 4speed 40 and stick it on the 60's 4speed right?

Yes. 9/73-7/80 4SPD Part # 32 in the picture. I have a couple of extra covers, part #34, if you need one.

I do have the stock t-case should i just bolt that to the tranny or should i just use the parking brake assembly?

I would say use the stock t-case from the '75 if you want to use the stock parking brake. I don't think the assembly will work with the '82 t-case.

Another invaluable source for info is www.sor.com. You can find all the parts schematics there. :D

Attachments

• 018G.gif
    018G.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 171

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
boy, this conversation sounds familiar. :)

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Anybody want these wheels? Ill put them in the classifieds to.
There are 4 of them
fj40136.jpg

What happened to the tires? I may need a set of emissions tires here, soon. :)

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
if you don't grab those engine mounts, I could probably use them. new 60/2f mounts from CDan were $70 each. Ouch.

The f mounts I have are actually in decent shape if anyone wants them.

Let me know when you are ready to drop the 2f in the 40. I am clueless, but would be happy to help. :)

T

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Those were just a set of extra wheels that came with it, its still sittin on the wheels/tires but i need them to roll it around, once i find a permanent spot for the 60 you can have the wheels/tires.

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
if you don't grab those engine mounts, I could probably use them. new 60/2f mounts from CDan were $70 each. Ouch.

The f mounts I have are actually in decent shape if anyone wants them.

Let me know when you are ready to drop the 2f in the 40. I am clueless, but would be happy to help. :)

T

Great ill let you know. Thanks!

It would be really slick to swap the entire 60 drivetrain in, and use the ruffstuff FJ40 with FJ60 axle kit http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/fj40-soa-kit-using-fj60-axles-with-or-wo-reversal-p-159.html

The Tcase is much, much stronger than the earlier designs. You also get more width for better stability. They are more expensive to adapt crawler boxes and whatnot though.

Edit..

Didn't realize that the 40 was sprung under. Doubt you could get the wagon axles under that without opening up a whole nother can of worms...