29er Cross Country Tires

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'm shopping for a set of XC tires for Bridger's new hardtail. Probably in a 2.25" width. Weight is a concern but not too much to blow durability out of the picture. He is not racing but just is not a powerhouse yet. So any advantage on the climbs is a plus. Under 700g. His old bike had a set of Schwalbe Rock Ron's on it in a 26x2.1" Never had a flat and he got 2 years out of those tire with tread to spare. Should probably just do that again however Schwalbe's are expensive.

I've been looking at:

Vittoria Barzo
Schwalbe Rocket Rons
Maxxis Ikon

Anyone run any of these or something else worth looking at? Durango trails are generally dry, rocky but not slabs. Rocks in-bedded into dirt/clay. When it gets really dry we get loose or dust on top of hard. He'll have a set of 27.5+ wheels with 2.8's for lift service or more rowdy descending trails.

r.swany

Rising Sun Member
I'm a big fan of Schwalbe and choose them whenever possible. Rocket Ron $$ on the front for lateral traction and and Racing Ralph $$$ on the back because they run a little smoother (but still have plenty of side bite for soft stuff).

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I pulled the trigger on the Vittoria Barzos tonight in the XC race casing. 29x2.25”

Price was probably the deciding factor. But that aside nearly all the reviews I read were very positive. At the shop I worked at in SLC we sold tons of Vittoria tires and I road a bunch all with satisfaction.

If price was no object I’d probably choose the Schwalbes.

Now I guess I’ll change gears into wasting countless hours deciding what I want on my bike. Currently Maxxis Minion DHF and Aggressor combo.