22RE Newbie

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Dave- thanks for the input, I did some light googling and saw they weren't TTY, so I'll just cross my fingers. Any thoughts on that upper suspension rust?
I'd measure them and if they're all the same diameter and length I'd feel OK reusing them. Either way might consider a thread restoring (NOT a cutting) tap and die for the bolts and block.

AdamKFarmer

Hard Core 4+
The last 22re that I did (25 years ago?) had really gunked up head bolts, on the exhaust side they barely came out I remember. I cleaned and reused and it was at a time that I probably didn't even measure. probably should have
Marco, this is where I'm leaning, they seemed fine if just gunky.
I'd measure them and if they're all the same diameter and length I'd feel OK reusing them. Either way might consider a thread restoring (NOT a cutting) tap and die for the bolts and block.
Okay, this is a good suggestion! Thanks!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
definitely clean the threads so the bolts go in by hand so you can get a good clamp with the proper bolt torque!

AdamKFarmer

Hard Core 4+
@DaveInDenver I ran into an issue and need your advice. I disconnected the water bypass tube on the left side of the timing cover (PS) and the water heater pipe (DS) both of these had gaskets, when looking at my Toyota gasket kit, there are none and I can't find a part number to save my life. I even spoke to parts counter at Stevinson and can't find anything. I've seen someone say o-ring but still at a loss. Do you know what you used here?
PXL_20210225_001653459.jpg
PXL_20210225_001815559.jpg
PXL_20210225_001837001.jpg
PXL_20210225_001852443.jpg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I believe the gasket for those pipe (I think they're referred to as by-pass pipes) is part of the left and right timing chain cover gaskets.

If that seems right the part numbers I have are 11329-35030 and 11328-35030.

index.jpg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Are you reassembling? You should know that the order of torquing is important. Leave the timing chain cover bolts loose until the head is torqued. Then do the ones in front on the cover and then put the pan on. If you do it out of order the head might not seal right in front if there's a lip. There's no head bolts but there is a small bolt through the head into the timing chain cover.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
On gaskets: If you don't have access to (trail repair) or they don't make them any more, paper gaskets can be cut from sheets of paper gasket material available from parts stors. I carry some in my trail spares stash as well as keep some in my garage. On rubber gaskets and o-rings, now that I have a 3D printing store I can make rubber gaskets and o-rings from TPU (thermoplastic Urethane) which is fine for anything coolant related and is oil and gasoline resistant.

AdamKFarmer

Hard Core 4+
Are you reassembling? You should know that the order of torquing is important. Leave the timing chain cover bolts loose until the head is torqued. Then do the ones in front on the cover and then put the pan on. If you do it out of order the head might not seal right in front if there's a lip. There's no head bolts but there is a small bolt through the head into the timing chain cover.
Dave, yes I'm waiting on a new cover and timing chain kit as we speak. I have the RM and it's pretty specific on the order of removal and torque. I haven't taken it off quite yet but I am concerned that the guy who replaced the chain previously and did such a poor job might have gotten the bolt sizes mixed up. Do you know which sizes go where? I haven't looked yet.
On gaskets: If you don't have access to (trail repair) or they don't make them any more, paper gaskets can be cut from sheets of paper gasket material available from parts stors. I carry some in my trail spares stash as well as keep some in my garage. On rubber gaskets and o-rings, now that I have a 3D printing store I can make rubber gaskets and o-rings from TPU (thermoplastic Urethane) which is fine for anything coolant related and is oil and gasoline resistant.
Jeff, I have done that on the 40 before when I tore the oil pressure sender one. The 3D printer option is good to know for the future!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
These are old part numbers (some I think are superseeded) but it gives you a relative view. It is important since you can punch the back of the casting in some of the blind holes for the water and oil pumps.

MA3390E.png

AdamKFarmer

Hard Core 4+
I pulled the timing cover, I am waiting on a new one so I took a few days off from the pickup project. I wonder why it was leaking? I say that tongue in cheek. Either the weld wasn't oil/water proof or the whole thing was warped from the heat. I haven't put a straight edge on it, but I wouldn't be surprised.
PXL_20210301_000705865.jpg
PXL_20210301_000717175.jpg

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yikes!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Welding oily cast aluminum is a very difficult thing to do, so whoever did that actually did pretty good all things considered. It might actually be fine once you clean it up and get the right gasket in there. OTOH seeing the half ass gasketing and RTV doesn't inspire confidence, does it?

AdamKFarmer

Hard Core 4+
Welding oily cast aluminum is a very difficult thing to do, so whoever did that actually did pretty good all things considered. It might actually be fine once you clean it up and get the right gasket in there. OTOH seeing the half ass gasketing and RTV doesn't inspire confidence, does it?

Feels an unecessary gamble when a new cover is $150. The cutting corners really doesn't make me think he did much correctly. It was leaking externally and internally so full replacement seems the route!

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Feels a unecessary gamble when a new cover is $150. The cutting corners really doesn't make me think he did much correctly. It was leaking externally and internally so full replacement seems the route!
If that was laying on my workbench that's exactly where it'd stay, too. It's an unknown that for $150 I'd not risk either.

All I was thinking aloud was that perhaps the person who did the most recent work wasn't the same who did the repair originally. Someone who could weld that probably would have been more thoughtful on buttoning the engine back up. Seeing RTV indiscriminately used around the timing cover strikes me of someone who didn't take the timing cover off for some sort of repair or perhaps did work behind the timing cover without pulling the head.

Last edited:

AdamKFarmer

Hard Core 4+
If that was laying on my workbench that's exactly where it'd stay, too. It's an unknown that for $150 I'd not risk either.

All I was thinking aloud was that perhaps the person who did the most recent work wasn't the same who did the repair originally. Someone who could weld that probably would have been more thoughtful on buttoning the engine back up. Seeing RTV indiscriminately used around the timing cover strikes me of someone who didn't take the timing cover off for some sort of repair or perhaps did work behind the timing cover without pulling the head.

I was also surprised that someone who would cut corners could weld aluminum that well, maybe it was repaired at different times. When I pulled the pan there were chunks of the timing cover in there as well, so he really did the bare minimum with the repair!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I was also surprised that someone who would cut corners could weld aluminum that well, maybe it was repaired at different times. When I pulled the pan there were chunks of the timing cover in there as well, so he really did the bare minimum with the repair!
LOL, when mine let loose there wasn't much question.

IMG_0745_med.jpg
IMG_0747_med.jpg