• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2020 Snow and Pizza Run

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Another snow run in the books! Thanks for leading this again, Scott.

I showed up late thanks to the tens of thousands of transplants clogging I-70 that morning on their way to get lattes at the Vail.
So Justin, Daine, Jeff, and I met up in the staging area and set out together. We caught up with the main group at the middle meadow in about 15 minutes. On the way we had some interesting experiences on ice sheets where Daine almost took out Jeff and his rig. But luckily catastrophe was averted.

We ended up making it to the base of Yankee hill eventually.
And Daine, Jake, and I decided to go all the way over and try to break through to Alice.
I got stuck immediately as I fell off the trail into a large hole. Buried my driver side all the way to the frame and sliders. Subsequently we ended up burying an 80 in an attempt to get me out. Then Jeff tried to get us both out. But it took a large built cruiser, a 100 series I think, to tug us both free.

The “over and through” group took off and we had little trouble getting though to Alice. Tackled a couple large drifts including a 5 footer. I got stuck once more but Daine winched me backwards and we were then able to blast through. I really wish I could have gotten some pictures or videos of us busting through that drift. It was pretty cool.
Just as we were coming out to the main road, there was a red Jeep and a white F350 attempting to come up that side. They never made it more than 100 yards.

All in all it was a fun day and I had a good time hangin’ out with friends and new folks.

C89623D8-2ACA-4FA7-A341-CF92F089AFE5.jpeg
CCA029F5-B1C9-4817-98D9-F70FC42E51CE.jpeg
C2164440-423A-4AD4-BBAD-A079F592EB5E.jpeg
13A81218-AF8A-4999-A69C-981B75DED904.jpeg

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Man, always a fun run and a fun day! Thanks for letting me ride along Scott. Fun to look over all the years we've been wheeling up there together:). Was fun too see a lot of new faces on the run, and I think there was more 3rd gen 4runners then built 80's on the run this year....

Jeff, I counted a total of 23 total rigs (there were 19 rigs when we left the air down spot).

Took 220 pics yesterday. Starting to work on them, but might be a day or two. Though one of my favorites:

View attachment 83469

:beer::beer:
Thats a magazine shot if I've ever seen one. Very cool shot perry.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

bh4rnnr

Another snow run in the books! Thanks for leading this again, Scott.

I showed up late thanks to the tens of thousands of transplants clogging I-70 that morning on their way to get lattes at the Vail.
So Justin, Daine, Jeff, and I met up in the staging area and set out together. We caught up with the main group at the middle meadow in about 15 minutes. On the way we had some interesting experiences on ice sheets where Daine almost took out Jeff and his rig. But luckily catastrophe was averted.

We ended up making it to the base of Yankee hill eventually.
And Daine, Jake, and I decided to go all the way over and try to break through to Alice.
I got stuck immediately as I fell off the trail into a large hole. Buried my driver side all the way to the frame and sliders. Subsequently we ended up burying an 80 in an attempt to get me out. Then Jeff tried to get us both out. But it took a large built cruiser, a 100 series I think, to tug us both free.

The “over and through” group took off and we had little trouble getting though to Alice. Tackled a couple large drifts including a 5 footer. I got stuck once more but Daine winched me backwards and we were then able to blast through. I really wish I could have gotten some pictures or videos of us busting through that drift. It was pretty cool.
Just as we were coming out to the main road, there was a red Jeep and a white F350 attempting to come up that side. They never made it more than 100 yards.

All in all it was a fun day and I had a good time hangin’ out with friends and new folks.

View attachment 83493View attachment 83494View attachment 83495View attachment 83496

Kinda feel like Daine is the third wheel in that third pic you posted.....

bh4rnnr

OK, so taking a bit longer on pics than expected. Tired after the last three days of work... Here is another for the time being.

YoderDrift.jpg

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Kinda feel like Daine is the third wheel in that third pic you posted.....

LoL
Are you saying my truck and Justin’s truck are “a thing” and Daine is chaperoning, so we don’t end up with an unwanted 5th gen?:lmao:

bh4rnnr

Here are my pics from the Snow Run. Scott, thanks again for letting me ride along, just like old times. Always a fun run!

Most of the group at the meet up/air down spot above the cemetery.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Drivers meeting.
4.jpg

5.jpg

bh4rnnr

Our trail leader Yoder during the drivers meeting.
6.jpg

Alex is super focused....
7.jpg

Zach and Mitch.
8.jpg

Rick in his nicely built third gen.
9.jpg

My pal Scott posing for those profile pics...
10.jpg

bh4rnnr

An easy climb to the second parking area this year.
11.jpg

Hanging out waiting for the rest of the group to catch up.
12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Scott trying to break through the drift to the playground area.
15.jpg

bh4rnnr

After a few attempts, it was time to pull cable.
16.jpg

17.jpg

Brad watching on as Zach pulls Scott out with a snatch block.
18.jpg

One of my favorite of Scott from the run.
19.jpg

Free of the drift.
20.jpg

bh4rnnr

Waiting for Scott to bust through this section....
21.jpg

22.jpg

But he couldn't make it past the first big drift.
23.jpg

So it was time to pull the cable again and get turned around.
24.jpg

25.jpg

bh4rnnr

26.jpg

Scott Helping get the GX unstuck, just past the turnoff for the playground.
28.jpg

29.jpg

Lunch amongst the old Bristlecones.
30.jpg

bh4rnnr

Adam enjoying his sandwich.
31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Views from the top of Yankee Hill.
34.jpg

Zach, Brad and Scott at the top of Yankee Hill.
35.jpg

bh4rnnr

Lots of good views at the top of Yankee Hill, even if it does seem to always be windy.
36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

100 series making it to the top.
39.jpg

40.jpg

bh4rnnr

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

bh4rnnr

46.jpg

47.jpg

Honeybadger stuck in a big drift. THose are 37" tires....
48.jpg

Took a few attempts from Squishy and the Red Chilly to finally free this 5th gen 4runner.
49.jpg

50.jpg

bh4rnnr

Scott blasting through. This uphill section fought us for a bit. Scott set up his winch and snatch block to help get vehicles through that needed it.
51.jpg

Lol.
52.jpg

Zepp getting pulled through.
53.jpg

Pulling the blue taco through.
54.jpg

55.jpg

bh4rnnr

Adam was the last through. Mostly easy sailing back down the hill (except for the bobsled rid) and pizza at Beau Joes.
56.jpg

Evening light as we made our way back down.
57.jpg

58.jpg

End.