• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

2020 Snow and Pizza Run

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Big thank you to past Commander and past Cruise Moab committee chair Scott Yoder for organizing and leading this run! I had lots of fun and got to meet new people. Lots of stucks, lots of recovery. I don't know if anyone has the exact number of participants due to the incredible traffic jam on I-70 which made many of us late, combined with a number of folks who bugged out mid way through the run, but I think it was around 20 rigs. There was skating rink ice, deep snow, sunshine, biting wind, pretty much everything we are used to on Yankee Hill in January. A couple bobsled runs (both pointed down and pointed up but in reverse oops back down), winching, pretty much everything. Pictures coming up, Perry rode shotgun with Scott and took a lot of picture. He took a couple with my Nikon (thank you Perry!). Rigs were mostly tacos, runners, 80s and we had one guy in a hundy that drove all the way from Salida to join us. I was the lone 40.

:risingsun

Attachments

• DSC_6410.JPG
    9.3 MB · Views: 252

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
The weather was great. I've not had good success with my Craigslist tires on my 80 in the snow and ice but thought I would try anyway. After sliding backwards like 30 yards through the woods at fairly high speed 3 of 3 attempts on the first Hill with my new paint job I decided to bail before I bash a tree.
20200125_092800.jpg

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Good fun run with good people. Thanks to all involved. Nice mix of crawling, high speed sections and even a little ice skating. 😁
20200125_135033.jpg
20200125_135236.jpg
20200125_135311.jpg
20200125_135007.jpg
20200125_142322.jpg
20200125_145825.jpg

Last edited:

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
That was definitely a great time! Many thanks to Scott for organizing and setting this up! I always look forward to this run. The kids asked me why I would want to do this run last night if all we do is get stuck? My thoughts on this... running in the snow give you a chance to push the limits of your skills and equipment while building technique and camaraderie with your crew. Not to mention you get hands on expirience of your and others recovery equipment. We spent money on, might as well get some use for it!
20200125_104543.jpg
20200125_105035.jpg
20200125_105050.jpg
20200125_112454.jpg
20200125_130533.jpg
20200125_130557.jpg
20200125_130611.jpg
20200125_141521.jpg
20200125_142404.jpg

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Seeing the Honey Badger tire deep in snow is impressive.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Oh man that looks like it was a great time and a great turnout!!

Thanks Scott for Organizing

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
We were one of the many that bailed midway through. Had hoped to get some good action shots, but the group was so big and we lagged behind a little to let our pups out that all I got was a poser :(

As impressed as I was with the new X3's they might as well had been Bald Eagle Supremes® on that ice sheet after those Jeeps took a run at it.
View attachment 83465

And Bento, that I think said hi to literally everyone at the drivers meeting.
View attachment 83466

[edit]Not sure why the images are not embedding in the post like they have before...[/edit]

Last edited:

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I didnt see the jeeps make it up to the front of the pack where I was. Does anyone know how far they made it?

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Man, always a fun run and a fun day! Thanks for letting me ride along Scott. Fun to look over all the years we've been wheeling up there together:). Was fun too see a lot of new faces on the run, and I think there was more 3rd gen 4runners then built 80's on the run this year....

Jeff, I counted a total of 23 total rigs (there were 19 rigs when we left the air down spot).

Took 220 pics yesterday. Starting to work on them, but might be a day or two. Though one of my favorites:

ZeppMirror.jpg

:beer::beer:

Last edited:

coloradobound

Hard Core 4+
Damn, been over 10 years since my last snow run. Loved to seen how the Nokians would’ve done.

Attachments

• 194E1EE1-F372-43FD-98A0-D68D7B3787F7.jpeg
    194E1EE1-F372-43FD-98A0-D68D7B3787F7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 171

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I remember my first run with the club. It was this snow run. Kimmel says “you’ll be fine our trucks are really similar” lol. That’s when the 60 had small tires no lockers and no bumpers :)

Glad to see you guys all had fun!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
That’s a great shot Perry!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
The weather was great. I've not had good success with my Craigslist tires on my 80 in the snow and ice but thought I would try anyway. After sliding backwards like 30 yards through the woods at fairly high speed 3 of 3 attempts on the first Hill with my new paint job I decided to bail before I bash a tree.

Mike, we had the same experience with our first guy Dane (I was in the straggler group of 5 who were caught in I-70 traffic). He tried it a couple times and came sliding back down with all 4 wheels locked each time. We went up the trail on the left which met up with the main trail, and it was ice-free and we made it up just fine.

Funny, on the way back down, none of us noticed where that trail met back up with the main trail so we all went down the icy side. We all had an exciting bobsled ride WAY faster than we wanted to go, but fortunately didn't hit any trees or sustain any damage from the uncontrolled descent. It was definite pucker factor! Key was keeping in gear and not using brakes, so at least the wheels were turning for some semblance of steering. But everyone had wide eyes as they slipped and slid down that ice!

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
Mike, we had the same experience with our first guy Dane (I was in the straggler group of 5 who were caught in I-70 traffic). He tried it a couple times and came sliding back down with all 4 wheels locked each time. We went up the trail on the left which met up with the main trail, and it was ice-free and we made it up just fine.

Funny, on the way back down, none of us noticed where that trail met back up with the main trail so we all went down the icy side. We all had an exciting bobsled ride WAY faster than we wanted to go, but fortunately didn't hit any trees or sustain any damage from the uncontrolled descent. It was definite pucker factor! Key was keeping in gear and not using brakes, so at least the wheels were turning for some semblance of steering. But everyone had wide eyes as they slipped and slid down that ice!

Ya I was in the tan 80 that was off to the side as you guys approached the hill. I just wanted a chill trail ride and to find any bugs I could in my 80 as I haven't really taken it on the trail yet hardly. What I heard before the hill was that the right side was less icy then the left. So I took the right side. First attempt I took the right side without the front locker and didn't try very hard, made it half way before I totally lost traction and slid backwards. Second try I did both lockers and made it a little further until sliding backwards, which at that point the white 80 behind me and the razor behind him had begun to pull forward. As I came flying back down trying to miss all the trees I saw the 80 in my path. I waved at them frantically to back up as I'm sliding which they did thankfully. He was lifted with a arb bumper and it would have smashed up the back of my 80 pretty bad. 3Rd time I really romped on it and almost made it to the top but still lost traction, since I made it so far, that meant I got to enjoy going even faster backwards. I then decided I had tempted fate enough and let u guys pass and I went home. I ever tried the left and assumed it was icier.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
It was a fun run with everyone again this year. It was a pleasure having Perry ride with me again. Just like old times. In the front we didn't have any ice issues going up. We just got to experience it coming down to the middle parking lot. Thank goodness there were ruts in the snow to keep you on the road in the corner as we were sliding uncontrollably.

No one had cut tracks into the playground. I tried to get in there but could do it and got stuck good on the second drift. My winch wouldn't work- bad connection. So that took some time getting getting turned around which caused problems behind us with side by sides and such trying to get around our group. Travis had to deal with some Jepps in the rear that weren't being very friendly at all. Anyway, we needed some guys with the big rigs to bust the the playground open for us. Too bad Uncle Ben could make it that day. And Squishy and Travis were in the rear.

Some of the people in the rear then had clearance issues as the ruts in the deeper parts got dug out. Then coming back out we had issues getting back up the hill from the small meadow. We spent a bit of time getting the first part of the group thru. I was trying to set some new tracks and got stuck myself. Had to winch back onto the road. Winch started working perfectly again. So I set up a snatch block and winched half of the rest of the group thru to get back on track for pizza. Made it to Beau Jo's about 5pm. So that worked out well.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
It was a fun run with everyone again this year. It was a pleasure having Perry ride with me again. Just like old times. In the front we didn't have any ice issues going up. We just got to experience it coming down to the middle parking lot. Thank goodness there were ruts in the snow to keep you on the road in the corner as we were sliding uncontrollably.

No one had cut tracks into the playground. I tried to get in there but could do it and got stuck good on the second drift. My winch wouldn't work- bad connection. So that took some time getting getting turned around which caused problems behind us with side by sides and such trying to get around our group. Travis had to deal with some Jepps in the rear that weren't being very friendly at all. Anyway, we needed some guys with the big rigs to bust the the playground open for us. Too bad Uncle Ben could make it that day. And Squishy and Travis were in the rear.

Some of the people in the rear then had clearance issues as the ruts in the deeper parts got dug out. Then coming back out we had issues getting back up the hill from the small meadow. We spent a bit of time getting the first part of the group thru. I was trying to set some new tracks and got stuck myself. Had to winch back onto the road. Winch started working perfectly again. So I set up a snatch block and winched half of the rest of the group thru to get back on track for pizza. Made it to Beau Jo's about 5pm. So that worked out well.

You didn't have to winch ALL the trucks thru that area after the meadow, somehow I was able to get the 450 thru it without getting stuck by just rocking her back and forth right at the tipping point where I almost got stuck. Great job on getting that offset pull to get everyone through!