2010 WBPP Report

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Excellent work Ricardo. Sorry I could not make it

Looks like a good time was had by all

nattybumppo

Hard Core 4+
It was great fun to tear into that front end! Thanks for everybody's help, especially Randy, Ricardo, Kevin, and whoever did all that parts washing on my bearings. The little guy even got his fingers greasy, I think on Zach's pig! Apologies to everyone who got cut in half by his lightsaber.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Ricardo, thanks so much for putting this together. It is really appreciated - and the guys at BT Bedliner gave me some additional ideas and edumacation on airbags (they have a finger in a lot of pies, and know them too).

I really appreciated the alignment next door, too, for (get this) $20!! Rising Sun price. I found out both axles are well within spec (I've not ever had the alignment done professionally on the Chili, I never knew for sure). The new front Alcans absolutely nailed the caster. Camber is perfect. My home spun toe-in job... not so much. They saved my lunch (front tires can buy a lot of lunches). They do free alignment checks, too, folks. They know their stuff.

When I left the place I had a new tranny noise and was sorely disappointed in myself; it sounded like my new breather fitting was ticking against the thin steel splash plate. I drove about five miles, stopped for a marg with the crew afterwards, and driving home...

SHAZAAM!

No more noise. :lmao: Musta just been some innocuous thing or the other. The R151 shifts better now with fresh MT-90 in it too. Yeah, its expensive, but if your tranny shifts badly even though it is a long way from needing a rebuild... give it a try. Once you displace all the old gear lube (500 miles or so) you might be surprised at the difference.

We will see if my fix eliminates the splooge. It should, in theory, as the tranny now can breathe freely and the breather exits just under the hood. You know what they say:

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they are not.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
So to everyone who saw my pass side birfield lubed by what looked like chocolate frosting.... well when putting away the receipts for this weekend I found the parts receipt for that - September 2004 was the last time I opened up that birfield! Now I don't feel so bad for the shape it was in. And the drivers side was perfect! Guess I should do this more often....

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
ricardo, as usual, truly did an awesome job!!!:cheers:

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
It would be hard to tell what it looks like inside now with all the blinding bling coming off those shiny new rotors.. you now need sunglasses..:cool:
Do you notice improved stopping with the new Brakes?

So to everyone who saw my pass side birfield lubed by what looked like chocolate frosting.... well when putting away the receipts for this weekend I found the parts receipt for that - September 2004 was the last time I opened up that birfield! Now I don't feel so bad for the shape it was in. And the drivers side was perfect! Guess I should do this more often....

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
It would be hard to tell what it looks like inside now with all the blinding bling coming off those shiny new rotors.. you now need sunglasses..:cool:
Do you notice improved stopping with the new Brakes?

I have not driven since I came home Saturday. :) I went easy on the brakes the whole way home.

I have read up on bed-in procedures and plan to do that. Supposedly it takes a while before the added stopping power can be felt and before the rotors have thermally cycled enough to take the heat from a big stop. I have learned a lot about brakes this weekend (if you believe what you read on the web). I also need to consider sooner than later going to 100 Series front pads now that I have the new rotors. I had the stock pads that I put in on Saturday and had not even though to do the 100 series pads now.

I may pull the rear discs this weekend (much easier) and get them turned.

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
Thanks to everyone that helped out Saturday! The front axle on Zach's Pig was in much worse shape than ever expected. We'd still be working on it today if doing it in the drive at home!

Special thanks to Ricardo for organizing the event and to Kevin Shipman owner of BTB Bedliners and his crew for hosting!:thumb:

I would like to thank Ricardo for putting on this event. It was a great learning experience for me and it is nice to know that my front axle is back in good shape. I would also like to thank Tim, Matt, Ige, and everyone else that helped and provided me with advice. If it wasn't for them I would still be trying to figure out how to remove the cone washers.