2009 Snow and Pizza Run Jan. 3rd

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I wish I could have made it, snow runs are so much fun. How many total rigs, did anybody count?

Gerdo

I was impressed that there weren't big "traffic jams". Yeah there were a few slow spots, behind stuck vehicles, but overall not bad. There were, I think, 3 groups. The more built-up vehicles and two groups of the more common vehicles. This helped keep things moving.

Scott
Great job on being the Leader. You didn't just say "let them fend for themselves". You hung with groups to assist thru spots.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
I wish I could have made it, snow runs are so much fun. How many total rigs, did anybody count?
i tried adding it up at dinner and came up with 28 rigs most of them with multiple people, so a wag of 50 attendees.

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
My personal thanks to Nate & Jeff & Ricardo & Ricardo's son & everyone else who helped out in my time of need. Amazing what a PITA 1 misplaced pebble can cause. My lessons learned from this trip are:

1-Get the 40 running so I don't have to take a very large and heavy truck wheeling
2-When I have to take aforementioned truck wheeling, dont be a DA and leave half the tire chains at home, thus causing me to air down the unchained front tires which resulted in losing a bead when clobbering a rock
3-Put a cork in the tube to the spare tire mechanism so little pebbles cant get in it and become a huge PITA
4-Really appreciate all of the fine folks in the club knowing you wouldnt be left behind no matter what happened. The pizza and company afterwards were great too!

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
1. The group before the other half arrived.
2. After going through the ice hill bypass twice. I was backing down to strap someone and had to winch out myself.
3. Bruce strapping
4. Middle parking area with storm down below.
5. The jump at the 1st playground. It looks like Uncle Ben's group busted it open a few days prior. I still say someone bladed the little hill down so it's flat now.

Attachments

• P1000227 (Small).JPG
    P1000227 (Small).JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 348
  • P1000228 (Small).JPG
    P1000228 (Small).JPG
    49 KB · Views: 350
  • P1000231 (Small).JPG
    P1000231 (Small).JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 357
  • P1000232 (Small).JPG
    P1000232 (Small).JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 357
  • P1000234 (Small).JPG
    P1000234 (Small).JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 346

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
1. Nay getting strapped
2. Nay's two boys having fun
3. The turn around point for all but the 4 in the first group
4. JKimmel playing around and getting stuck. I got to strap him. He came down with Rudy in the first group.
5. This was the section coming back and up toward the first playgound that many had a hard time getting through.

Attachments

• P1000250 (Small).JPG
    P1000250 (Small).JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 442
  • P1000248 (Small).JPG
    P1000248 (Small).JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 344
  • P1000240 (Small).JPG
    P1000240 (Small).JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 349
  • P1000238 (Small).JPG
    P1000238 (Small).JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 345
  • P1000235 (Small).JPG
    P1000235 (Small).JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 356
Thanks again for all the help everyone this was the best trip I have ever had. Next time I will definetly bring a trailer I wish I went to get pizza but it was getting dark and I was pretty close to getting frostbite on the way home.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
brilliant me, didn't charge my camera battery, so not many pictures. all pretty much of a couple of the horsetooth guys, john from coyote and paul and julie dangler in their pretty pig ;)

Attachments

• DSC00188.JPG
    DSC00188.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC00184.JPG
    DSC00184.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC00182.JPG
    DSC00182.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC00176.JPG
    DSC00176.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC00171.JPG
    DSC00171.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 338

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Awesome pics, it always sucks getting back to the reality of the day to day after a trip like that. One of the best I can remember :cheers:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Scott...thanks for leading, and especially for letting me ride around with you all day!!! I had a great time. It was fun getting people un-stuck!!! Not as much fun as it would have been driving and getting stuck, but still lots of fun! I'll try to post some pics when I download them from my camera later today. I think I also have a couple of short videos. Gotta finish my garage project first (before going back to work tomorrow)!!!

Almost forgot to thank you Paul for all your work working the D-rings, straps and shovels all day. You were quite helpful.

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
Here is a link to a successful application of this technique.[/QUOTE]

All the people on U Tube are using starting fluid (ether) to reseat the bead on the tires. There is even one where they're doing it in the winter in snow up to their a**. I'm going to get some starting fluid and practice on an old tire out behind the barn. I can see why ether works a lot better than white gas.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
It's going to be hard to top this year's snow run. Muy bueno!

I only took a handful of pics.

snowrun2009004.jpg

snowrun2009007.jpg

snowrun2009010.jpg

snowrun2009009.jpg

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Here is a link to a successful application of this technique.

All the people on U Tube are using starting fluid (ether) to reseat the bead on the tires. There is even one where they're doing it in the winter in snow up to their a**. I'm going to get some starting fluid and practice on an old tire out behind the barn. I can see why ether works a lot better than white gas.[/QUOTE]

i've used starting fluid, or brakeclean, but anything flammable works. i prefer to use one of those long stick lighters....;)

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
All the people on U Tube are using starting fluid (ether) to reseat the bead on the tires. There is even one where they're doing it in the winter in snow up to their a**. I'm going to get some starting fluid and practice on an old tire out behind the barn. I can see why ether works a lot better than white gas.

i've used starting fluid, or brakeclean, but anything flammable works. i prefer to use one of those long stick lighters....;)

Learned the starting fluid trick many years ago while I was still in High School. I worked at a Co-Op in Eaton and sometimes brand new truck tires just wont air up because they were stacked too high in the shipment and the beads were too squished together. I always make a "fuse" from the bead to the edge of the tire with a close sprit. ALWAYS STAND INLINE OF THE TIRE!!! If you are facing the rim your gonna lose some facial hair! Simply light the wet "fuse" and look away. It works very well! Another lesson I will tell you and you can choose to listen or find out for yourself is it works best to have the core removed so you can air the tire quickly as when the heated air rapidly cools the tire might unseat again. DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE STEM TO HOLD AIR WHILE YOU GRAB FOR THE AIR HOSE! Puts a very cool looking but painfull 1/4" circle on your finger tip that will last plenty long to amuse your friends! The method is actually very safe if done with caution and intelligence. It will not ruin your tire and it will not send flying rubber accross the shop. It WILL give you a fuzzy when you do it by the whole nature of the process! :D :thumb::thumb: I always carry a can of starting fluid....go ahead check my parts box! ;)

EDIT: Just watched the vids.... It is not a good idea to have the tire laying on the ground. If the rear bead is unseated it could pop the whole wheel/tire in the air and also flying sand/dirt might not be fun in the eyes.

Snow Bustin

Hi All,
Thanks for the great time. Search for BigDees on Youtube for some videos of the trip. Thanks again-Coyote John

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like a fun "tech" session at the next club meeting! Maybe even after Hops. There is an empty field across the street from the south Stevinson exit. Yeehaw!! :hill:

Learned the starting fluid trick many years ago while I was still in High School. I worked at a Co-Op in Eaton and sometimes brand new truck tires just wont air up because they were stacked too high in the shipment and the beads were too squished together. I always make a "fuse" from the bead to the edge of the tire with a close sprit. ALWAYS STAND INLINE OF THE TIRE!!! If you are facing the rim your gonna lose some facial hair! Simply light the wet "fuse" and look away. It works very well! Another lesson I will tell you and you can choose to listen or find out for yourself is it works best to have the core removed so you can air the tire quickly as when the heated air rapidly cools the tire might unseat again. DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE STEM TO HOLD AIR WHILE YOU GRAB FOR THE AIR HOSE! Puts a very cool looking but painfull 1/4" circle on your finger tip that will last plenty long to amuse your friends! The method is actually very safe if done with caution and intelligence. It will not ruin your tire and it will not send flying rubber accross the shop. It WILL give you a fuzzy when you do it by the whole nature of the process! :D :thumb::thumb: I always carry a can of starting fluid....go ahead check my parts box! ;)

EDIT: Just watched the vids.... It is not a good idea to have the tire laying on the ground. If the rear bead is unseated it could pop the whole wheel/tire in the air and also flying sand/dirt might not be fun in the eyes.

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
A few Pic's

Here are a few more pic's..

Attachments

• IMG_6509med.jpg
    IMG_6509med.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_6513med.jpg
    IMG_6513med.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_6516med.jpg