2009 Snow and Pizza Run Jan. 3rd

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
Scott: We just got home and I had to get on the forum and THANK you for getting this trip together!!! We had a great time!! and a special thanks to the club for the Pizza!!! Looking forward to seeing all of you soon. I will post a couple of pic's up as soon as I get them downloaded... GOOD TIMES :D :D

Cheers, :beer: :hill:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
That was awesome. I've done the snow run a ton of times and this was the first time I've stuck it out for the pizza... little did I know I may have been missing out on the best part. Conditions were excellent up there, everyone I ran into was super cool, I think just about everyone got involved in some sort of recovery effort. Fun time, for sure. thanks everyone!

:risingsun

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
That was the best snow run in years. Sure we winched a bunch, but the driving part made the winching worth it.

mini truck winch train worked great!

60wag

Rising Sun Member
The snow level was great. Deep enough to be fun but not so deep you couldn't get around. Quite a turnout both for the run and the dinner at Beau Jo's.

Gerdo

I hade an awesome time. Got stuck some, winched some. Made it thru some deep stuff and kept going. What a great group. Thanks for letting me come along. Sorry I couldn't make it for the pizza. I didn't have my camera so I'm waiting to see everyones pictures.

Chris

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
That was the best snow run in years. Sure we winched a bunch, but the driving part made the winching worth it.

I agree. Perfect conditions and a great day! Thanks Scott for leading the day again.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Outstanding, what a great run :beer:

Were we all so occupied after the ice hill slip 'n slide that nobody took any pics? :D

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Scott...thanks for leading, and especially for letting me ride around with you all day!!! I had a great time. It was fun getting people un-stuck!!! Not as much fun as it would have been driving and getting stuck, but still lots of fun! I'll try to post some pics when I download them from my camera later today. I think I also have a couple of short videos. Gotta finish my garage project first (before going back to work tomorrow)!!!

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Wow, it was a great time yesterday. Many thanks to Scott Yoder and all who helped keep us safe and enjoying the day:thumb:. Being in the high country is a very beautiful experience any time of year, but we were blessed with an excellent day for the 2009 Snow and Pizza Run.

With so many vehicles it’s impossible to cover the whole event. TheBoomBoom and I took some pictures through the day and here is the story they tell.

We’ll start with some Ford content; here TheBoomBoom is checking the chains on the Bronco. This was our first time running in snow and first time using chains. I’d really like to thank MtnTrucker for lending us some tighteners for the chains.
w_074.jpg

Here is the first line of the day, we are working our way up the hill to the first large packing area. Listening to the radio, it seemed that at one point we had vehicles stuck on both the hard line icy hill and the bypass.
w_075.jpg

Same line looking from the front to the back. The coordination in these spots was very good. There was a team on top and team on bottom using radio communication to keep track of everyone and make sure all had a clear path up.
w_077.jpg

Most of the vehicles I saw on the run went without chains. This was the “last chance” best place to put em on if you wanted them.
w_078.jpg

There was a bunch of nice looking 40s out on the run. Somehow, we only managed one good close up shot.
w_079.jpg

MtnTrucker has a real nice 40 but was waiting on parts so the 40 stayed home. He did do an excellent job of getting into the Toyota spirit of things.
w_080.jpg

Our tail gunner had an interesting rig. This is an 80 with the 40 body put on top. It was great to have so many come down from the Horsetooth club to join us for the day.
w_084.jpg

The day was not without problems for all, but no trucks were left up on the mountain. Here is a shot of a 22R needing a bit of priming to get started. Once it fired up it was on its way.
w_085.jpg

This is a shot of the first parking area and trucks waiting in queue to get up the next hill. How many rigs do you see?
w_097.jpg

This photo was taken right where we decided to turn around just up the hill from the first parking area. We made it up the hill to our spotters just fine but really started spinning in a big long drift. For a stock rig with 31” tires it went further than I had expected. It was a good day, I even made my first DX HF contact with a special event at the observatory in Toronto.
w_099.jpg

Coming back down the hill, MtnTrucker popped the tire off the rim.
w_108.jpg

There was a bit of trouble with blockage in the tube used to lower the spare tire. Here is a shot of McGyver using his “wire taped to a handle thingamabob” to clear the blockage. With the blockage clear, the spare tire came down easily. In short order, MtnTrucker was rolling down the hill.
w_112.jpg

Here is a series of photos of trucks and occupants that were snapped during the day.
w_088.jpg

w_090.jpg

Here is the leading candidate for Commander in 2010…
w_091.jpg

Back to wheeling pictures…
w_100.jpg

w_102.jpg

w_104.jpg

w_105.jpg

I’m not sure what the story is on this picture, but it may be two 80s were giving a hand to the seafoam green Dodge that lost its front drive shaft. Either way, it’s a cool photo of these nicely built rigs.
w_111.jpg

Finally some photos of pizza!
w_134.jpg

w_135.jpg

w_136.jpg

w_137.jpg

w_139.jpg

Thanks again to all for a safe, fun and enjoyable event.

Last edited:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Thanks to all for a great time and thank you Scott for pulling all this off so successfully.

Here is a picture of Nathaniel with the McGyver contraption (look closely to see the wire) used to remove debris from Randy's spare tire lowering mechanism. We also later tried to reseat the bead on his tire but I did not nearly use enough white gas. Here is a link to a successful application of this technique.

Attachments

• mcgyver_sm.jpg
    mcgyver_sm.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 399

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
Great time wheeling in the snow. Sorry I missed the pizza, had two dogs at home wetting their pants. Thank you Scott for leading the charge.....looked like you had the most fun pulling everybody back down the mountain!!!!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
We had a blast! A big thank you goes out to everyone.

Attachments

• DSCF7254.jpg
    DSCF7254.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 390
  • DSCF7260.jpg
    DSCF7260.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCF7272.jpg
    DSCF7272.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 483
  • DSCF7292.jpg
    DSCF7292.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 401
  • DSCF7295.jpg
    DSCF7295.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 487

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Good fun was had for sure. I was surprised to see that it hadn't really snowed much up there since we were there a month ago. But, that was good in that we were able to get around so everyone could get into the action this time. The first group (Tom, Bill, Rudy and Kimmel) were able to get all the way to the top. Bill and Tom continued on down to Fall River road. I guess they had to winch down through very deep snow once they got into the trees. I was with the middle group and the Horsetooth guys led the last group. At least that's just how it worked out with about 27 rigs on the trail. The Horsetooth 4 Wheelers were a very cool and equipped bunch of people. We were glad they joined us. Radio communications were key. Since we were so spread out, having the HAM was key. Even Uncle Ben chimed in and called Beou Jo's with a headcount for us.

The snow got pretty deep past the first playground and would high center most folks. I led the middle group the 2nd playground where it was obvious it would require winching multiple times to continue. This is where Uncle Ben and his group turned around I believe (I own him 20 bucks). We turned around after more play and met the last group coming up. We managed to let them all by as we headed back up to the rise near the first playground. We didn't think much of this section coming down it, but coming up was a winch fest for another hour of so to get everyone back up. This was the exact spot that Craze broke his berf years ago. I think Ige even got strapped some more going down - she needs new tires. I'm sure it was good for many people to be able to get stuck, push the limits and feel out their strengths and weaknesses. It was interesting for me to see how well or poorly people would do based on the weight of their rig, tires and amount lift etc. We all made it back to the middle parking area with a nice view of the storm below us then took York Gulch down to I70. Success!

I'll post pictures later.

:thumb: We enjoyed driving down to join you and will try to do this more often. I got a chance to put a few faces together with names. Thanks for the invitation, pizza and good time. :cool:

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
Pictures.....

Attachments

• IMG_2321.jpg
    IMG_2321.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_2320.jpg
    IMG_2320.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_2319.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_2317.jpg
    IMG_2317.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 376

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
few more.....

Attachments

• IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2322.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_2323.jpg
    IMG_2323.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_2324.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 380
Want to say thanks to the Rising Sun and Scott for a AWSOME time. As the little guy on the run i don't think i did to bad. but than again being a photographer and having no PICS because i was to busy either trying to get up a hill or getting unstuck says a lot. My vivid memory would be as i left the upper parking lot and started up it was deep but kept my foot in it till about half way up there was a little bump, i got on it hoping and praying but that is where i stopped. About 200 yards from anyone. i get on the radio to let folks know and before i can say anything i here.... im stuck... im stuck.... im stuck..... im stuck... from there i tried to dig out but when i seen the snow under the whole FJ i know i had to wait. There were rigs all over the mountain at any givin time. All i can say it was a BLAST!!!! Cant wait till the next one. Oh and skid plates on FJs work great to keep you on top till the tires have nothing to grab on to. Almost forgot.. Thanks Don for getting me out of the last deep spot. Did not get a chance to say it before we split up. Till next time see everyone on the trail.

Kenny
TT FJC

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Scott, with so many participants on a run where so much waiting COULD have occurred... and didn't... all I can say is, you are a great leader among great leaders. And you weren't even a drill sergeant!

I will post up pix later. I started up Yankee Doodle Hill but the trail proper was drifted in (it is a drainage) and though there was an established bypass to the SE of it, I didn't feel good taking it and backed down. If I had not, I am pretty certain I could have summitted Yankee Doodle. Not bad for January.

Tom and I definitely did have to winch DOWNhill to get down to Fall River Road via Alice. Drifts were at places over my hood measured top to ground, though we would kinda float up on them, burying ourselves only down to the frame. It was work but we made it! If we hadn't been able to proceed... we would have had to walk out. Or shovel well into dark. There was NO strapping back up, NO rear mounted winches, and NO other way. :eek:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Wow, that's a huge group. And from the pics I only recognize 5 or 6 of the rigs. I was going to come, but I had a feeling it was going to be a traffic jam on the trail.

Glad you all had fun.