• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

2008 Rally Run #1 Wheeler Lake Overnighter

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Rally Run#1 will depart from the rally Saturday around 2pm. We will run the trail Saturday afternoon/evening and camp at Wheeler Lake for the night. Sunday will be at a relaxed pace. Have breakfast, fish, hike or just relax and enjoy the scenery. We will depart early afternoon from the lake and run the trail back out. Wheeler is a difficult trail with several large rock obstacles. Very narrow in spots with tight brush that will scratch your truck if you need to pull over to pass. This run will be limited to 10 trucks due to the small area to park at the lake. There are no facilities at the lake, please be prepared for primitive camping as we will be above 10'000 ft. Wheeler is located southwest of Hoosier Pass between Breckenridge and Alama.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
What route are you planning on taking up and then back home? I may be able to go.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Sign in the Armbrusters (2 plus dog).

Is it harder than it was about 6 years ago? We got our truck up to the last section to the lake (where the big rock used to be) and at that point the truck was not locked, still on 235/75R15 Desert Dogs and stock suspension. I'm guessing that I will have better luck this time.

It is interesting to note that Wheeler Lake was the first significant damage I did to my truck. The front valance under the bumper got torn off and that started my truck down the path...

Convert

Hard Core 4+
What route are you planning on taking up and then back home? I may be able to go.

I am open to either route I-70 and across 9 would be the quickest 285 /9 would be less traffic. Like I said I am open The group can decide

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Me and the Dog are in.

Need to know when you plan to hit the trail head at Montgomery? I'll meet the group there.

Trail head between 4-4:30 We will air down and should be at the lake around 6-6:30. See ya at Montgomery Reservoir :thumb:

bvb

The lake is at 12,000' and there are no :eek:oxygen:eek: connections anywhere. Be ready for wet and dry conditions. See you there!:beer:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I would like to come! I've done Chinaman's (2006), Spring Creek (but not the big rock slab yet), Hell's Revenge (including Tipover Challenge), Kane Creek and Rose Garden Hill, think I'll be good?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I would like to come! I've done Chinaman's (2006), Spring Creek (but not the big rock slab yet), Hell's Revenge (including Tipover Challenge), Kane Creek and Rose Garden Hill, think I'll be good?

Matt, here's a recent trip report from CO4x4.org, looks like a bunch of stockish heeps did it with no problems. You have a 40 and mad driving skills, so I think you would do fine.

Wheeler

Take lots of Pics! Wish I could go, but I will be in Minnesota that weekend. Have fun!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
If in basically stock trim, an IFS mini can make it up to the base of the last climb, then you should be OK. I could not make the climb primarily because of not having lockers and it was loose, so I parked and caught a ride to the lake. I misremembered when I said I was running street tires, looks like I had BFG ATs by then, that would have been the 30x9.50 set I think.

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
My sister will be in town. sounds like it may be a good trip for us..

any reason the 60 shouldn't be able to make it? I kinda suck at driving the thing it seems sometimes... and I just looked at the other post, it looks pretty gnarly in spots.

Last edited:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I am going to try and make it. I want to test the RTT out and that would be a good trip plus the fishing I hear is great up there right now. My only problem is getting up there will be slow going. If I drive the 4Runner with the tent on top I think I will be crawling up the hills, may flat tow it but that is a pain too.

We'll see what can be done and if the wife plus doggies want to come.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
If I can make it w/ my 40 on 31s, you with power steering and 35s should be fine, though you do kinda suck at driving sometimes :D :p: :rolleyes:

My sister will be in town. sounds like it may be a good trip for us..

any reason the 60 shouldn't be able to make it? I kinda suck at driving the thing it seems sometimes... and I just looked at the other post, it looks pretty gnarly in spots.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
sweet, i'll see if i can convince her to go... she just found out about some party for a friend in boulder she kinda wants to go to.

lets see... party in boulder or wheeling with friends.... i know which way i'm leaning.. :)

i backed into a cadillac at work, only broke the the tail light on it, felt lucky untill i found out those things are $350 bones!!! i do feel retarded sometimes.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
A friendly reminder to all you front rangers who have been experiencing record heat. Over night temps have already begun to fall up here. For those attending, plan for over night temps below freezing.

We have had frost already in Frisco. This morning was only 42 degrees when I let the dogs out. I don't remember the altitude at Wheeler Lake, but I'm sure you can subtract about 10 degrees from my temps in Frisco. :cheers:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
i backed into a cadillac at work, only broke the the tail light on it, felt lucky untill i found out those things are $350 bones!!! i do feel retarded sometimes.

:doh: when you told me that story a while back it didn't seem like that big of a deal, but ouch!

**I am going to have to be out on this one. I would really like to go on this one, but it's another weekend with way too much going on unfortunately...:( **

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Corbet for the temperature update cant wait to get out of this heat! Several have asked if they are set up well enough to do this trail, I would say 31's a locker and good driving skills are the minimum there are several tough spots. BVB and I will have open passenger seats if anyone is interested.

Official Wheeler Run List

Rockrunner
Armbrusters
Corbet
Rover67
BVB (gunner)
Convert ( leader)

Looks like we have room for a few more. If you decide not to go please let me know.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Anybody know what flies the fish are hitting on?? Was going to stop by the fly shop and pick some up. May bring a regular pole if they are hitting on eggs/worms. Anybody have some insight?

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Hard to say Tom I would stay with small dry flies that you could sink. I will bring a couple of bundles of firewood for a campfire (weather permitting) If we had a couple extra it would be nice.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the info Dan, I will try to throw a few pieces in too. It will depend on my sleeping arangements that night.