• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Yikes! This might be a more than a one afternoon project!

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Glad to hear the thin grinding discs are working for you. One reason I joined the club is to be able to share tips and tricks with others in the hobby as well as learn new things myself.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Mike, the main reason I joined Rising Sun 25 years ago was to learn how to wrench on my junk. While I am now considered a wise old mentor, I am still learning, thanks for the tip!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Last piece of outside frame rail weldment. I welded it in Friday night, took the night off last night and am back at it this afternoon. Ground the welds down. So much easier working on the outside than inside!
IMG_20240324_143355533.jpg

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Somebody was asking if I used fluid on the inside, Kevin maybe? I don't know what that is, but on surfaces that I can't get to after I have welded them in but are going to be subjected to welding, an old body work guy turned me on to this stuff. You can buy it at body shop supply houses as "weld-through primer", but it is really just mostly-zinc with whatever they use as a solvent to get it on there.

IMG_20240324_170308609_HDR.jpg

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Final piece on the underside welded in! Tomorrow night, some grinding on tonight's welds, then weld the spring hanger back in! Paint and hopefully be back driving her by Wednesday. Yeah, more than an afternoon project 😜

IMG_20240324_204518706_HDR.jpg

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Careful breathing in the fumes from the cold galvanize spray. Burning zinc is particularly bad. And for the C02 vs 75/25 question, yes using C02 instead of 75/25 will give you better penetration at the same power settings.

Glad you’re on your way to be back on the road!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Careful breathing in the fumes from the cold galvanize spray. Burning zinc is particularly bad.

I'll drink some milk or something. I read on the LCML that takes care of it :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I was welding to the side or underneath, the fumes went up and away. Did I mention I hate welding underneath on my back. Yeah, I hate that. I was proactive enough tonight to put that old leather jacket over my chest and neck so the molten blobs wouldn't sizzle my chest again. :weld:

Anyways, I am super glad to get the frame done tonight, and get that spring hanger back on tomorrow night. I figure I'll still need to go a day for paint to dry before I reconnect the spring eye to the hanger. But yeah, super stoked to be driving her again!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Not shown, I welded in 3 piece on the bottom. Then I went to fit the spring hanger and realized I still had 2 rivet heads sticking out that had to be ground down. Anyone who has had to grind down rivets knows what a PITA they can be. The last time I had to do that was when I removed my rear crossmember in preparation of installing my 4x4 labs rear bumper.

IMG_20240327_210427601[1].jpg

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Next time you are welding and need to paint the inside or even outside of the item use this stuff. I like the aersol stuff.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Next time you are welding and need to paint the inside or even outside of the item use this stuff. I like the aersol stuff.

I used what was on my shelf, Rustoleum, but I will try that next time