• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Would a disel swap in CO mean trouble at the DMV?

Overlander

Trail Ready
Not that I'm that close to starting a diesel swap on my FZJ80, but I like to think that it's somewhere down the road...

I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience in dealing with the local DMV here in CO (especially Adams County) after swapping a diesel in their previously gas-powered rig. I've read lots of stuff on MUD but all the information seems to be different by State and maybe even by County.

I wonder if our local DMV has some rules for such swaps - I never asked. I wonder if anyone else here may have knowledge of what is required to properly register the car/truck following an engine swap.

Thx,
James :beer:

DanS

Rising Sun Member
I brought in my diesel swapped faux-lux without an issue, but I'm in Clear Creek. My biggest issue was they didn't initially enter it as a diesel, and were confused as to why I cared. I did the conversion in NM, had it inspected there, titled as a diesel, and then brought it here. I suspect that if you have a valid other state diesel title, you'll be good. Worst case: they'll make you take it somewhere to get it inspected as a diesel--which is likely some sort of city inspection office.

It's been easy every time I've done it in NM (and they have an opacity test), and I think it's roughly the same here in CO.

Dan

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
A buddy of mine left his converted-to-diesel rig titled as 'gas' (in a non-emission county) and they don't know - title still shows gas and no e-test needed.

If you register it as a diesel (and it's pre-2003) you get to enjoy a yearly, $50 dyno test, which (if nothing else) reveals your torque and horsepower at certain wheel speeds. The opacity test is quite easy to pass, unless your truck belches solid black clouds of smoke.

Overlander

Trail Ready
Ok - thx Dan. For me, most likely it wouldn't be a case of bringing an already diesel titled vehicle from another state... my truck is currently registered as a Gas-engine vehicle (subject to by-annual inspection) and if I do convert to diesel, then that status will need to officially change on the books... that's what I'm wondering about... Guess I'll just need to walk in there one day (wait 2 hrs in line... :) ) and ask what the official rules are.

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Call the Colorado department of health. You have to go through a complete inspection for motor swaps and if my info is current, in the front range (etest required every 2 years) a diesel swap is verboten unless the vehicle is old enough. Yours isn't.

Overlander

Trail Ready
Call the Colorado department of health.
Yeah, I know about the annual $50 diesel tax (er... I mean, inspection) - I pay it every year with my 300SDL.

Why would the CO Dept of Health have anything to do with this...?! Diesel is verboten, eh?!

Wait until you at least go into the mountains and wait 5 minutes at the DMV. I lived in Breck and barely let my coffee get cool enough to drink before I was talking to an agent on the busy days.

Overlander

Trail Ready