Wiring a OEM FZJ80 auxilliary tank switch

I am transferring a 40 gallon spare fuel tank from one 1997 TLC to another 1997 TLC. I have transferred the tank without trouble but the aftermarket fuel pump was spliced into wires leading to a plug, that was never connected to anything, behind the rear bumper. I have spliced into the same wires now but I don't know where it leads to in the dash. Is there a prewired place for the "sub" tank switch in the dash similar to the wiring for the center diff lock switch? If I can't figure it out I may run a separate wire to power the pump but then my question will be does anyone have the wiring diagram for the sub-tank switch? Any information is much appreciated.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Snorkel 1 said:
I am transferring a 40 gallon spare fuel tank from one 1997 TLC to another 1997 TLC. I have transferred the tank without trouble but the aftermarket fuel pump was spliced into wires leading to a plug, that was never connected to anything, behind the rear bumper. I have spliced into the same wires now but I don't know where it leads to in the dash. Is there a prewired place for the "sub" tank switch in the dash similar to the wiring for the center diff lock switch? If I can't figure it out I may run a separate wire to power the pump but then my question will be does anyone have the wiring diagram for the sub-tank switch? Any information is much appreciated.

I'm sure Robbie or Christo will spot your post. They will probably know instantly. I'm sorry I can't be of more help! Welcome to the RS forum BTW! :)

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Do not know about this, we ran wires on it own harness(front to back, splice into tank wire with two way switch) with a little circuit box built by christo. But we have not done tanks at the shop for a couple of years(sold a couple, but have not installed them). Who did this? a shop or owner? May have to ask the installer. later robbie

I bought the truck out of Evergreen, CO. I thought the tank was installed at Slee. I know the truck has alot of Slee parts on it and the it is in several photos on their website on Medano and Imogene passes. I have attached photos of the switch. Let me know if other photos would help.

I am not necessarily tring to duplicate the old install I just need to know how to do it correctly. Does Cristo still sell the circuit box and do I need it? If I knew what it looked like I might find it on the original vehicle.

Also there is a plug with two wires coming out of the top of the tank that look like they are for a fuel level gauge. This was also connected in the original install but I don't know what it could be for. My gas gauge did not respond to the fuel level in the auxilliary tank. Thanks.

Seth

Attachments

• DSC01873.JPG
    DSC01873.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC01875.JPG
    DSC01875.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 446

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Snorkel 1 said:
Also there is a plug with two wires coming out of the top of the tank that look like they are for a fuel level gauge. This was also connected in the original install but I don't know what it could be for. My gas gauge did not respond to the fuel level in the auxilliary tank.

Did you put a meter on the wires to see what the resistance was? Is the aftermarket pump inside the tank or is it internal? I don't know a whole lot about 80s specifically but I know auto electrics pretty well.

Last edited:
Rzeppa said:
Did you put a meter on the wires to see what the resistance was? Is the aftermarket pump inside the tank or is it internal? I don't know a whole lot about 80s specifically but I know auto electrics pretty well.

I didn't test the wires and the pump is external. I am going to talk to the shop that took the switch out of the dash for the tank swap to see which connection it was plugged into.
From the pump there is a ground wire (connected directly to the frame) and a power wire which is spliced into the factory plug that was never connected to anything. Which wires should I test and what for?
Any idea why there are six wires connected to the switch if all it has to do is:
-light up when the head lights are on
-the indicator light on the switch turns on when the pump is on
-power the pump

Seth

Last edited:

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
I can not remember Kendals last name, but he installed most every thing himself when it came to electrical. I beleive he even installed his own tank. These tanks are really nice, made sturdy and will take a bang really well. Your best bet is to talk to Kendal if you can get ahold of him. He really had his own way of doing stuff. We got our tanks at the same time and christo and kendal did the electrical in a unique way and I did it a real easy way (with no circuit board). I beleive we all spiced into the level reading on the dash guage the same way. On the driver side under the dash down by the pedals to the left above the dead pedal you may see a wire spliced(aftermarket) into another wire(stock not super big bundel). this is more than likely the dash wire feed to the fuel guage. There usually was with this install a little switch to the left of the steering wheel (black small square, up and down position not marked). This switch controls what tank you are viewing on the dash guage. the switch with the circuit box controled the fuel pump and the automatic like functions of the stock system that is in Aus.
To find what wires kendal used at the back with the stock wiring diagram you will need the toyota Electrical Wiring Diagram book for the specfic model year you are working on. In most cases the EWD is close enough to work for a couple of model.
The switch you are showning in the picture is a stock toyota sub tank switch for you model year truck(and several years of range). The plug on the end was the way Kendal connected the wires to the truck and the control unit. If you did not trace and pull this control unit you may be SOL on this as the boxes were a custom make and christo may or may not Make another. You would have to contact him. The sender in the aux tank is toyota part and has toyota specfic resistance to match the dash requirement in the 80 series. The fuel pumps we used for this was some from Carquest, and it strictly was a transfer pump(one that could be run dry). it pumps fuel from the aux to the main at about a gal a minute, There also should be an inline fuel filter that you may want to change out at the time you swap. You you need to talk to me you may reach me on my cell 303-884-7813. I no longer work for christo. later robbie

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
After I posted I reread your post and I am wondering if you have the whole truck or just the tank and bits. If it is just tank and bits then you may of not got all the bits. Or you have two trucks and are swaping this tank from one truck to another? Any how you can do the install with a different set up if you need to. Contact christo if you want to hear if he can help or not. later robbie

powderpig said:
After I posted I reread your post and I am wondering if you have the whole truck or just the tank and bits. If it is just tank and bits then you may of not got all the bits. Or you have two trucks and are swaping this tank from one truck to another? Any how you can do the install with a different set up if you need to. Contact christo if you want to hear if he can help or not. later robbie

I have both trucks, so I will take a closer look behind the dash on the original tonight. If I can't figure it out I will post again or call Christo or you Robbie. Thanks for your help.
I met you at Slee two years ago. My wife and I were driving our stock 40th Anniversary Edition around Colorado and when we stopped in you replaced our fan clutch and belts. From there we drove to Moab and had a blast on Fins and Things and some other trails. And you were right, a stock 80 can get through there with no damage. Thanks again.

Seth

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Sorry to say, i do not remember every one that has traveled through slee offroad. I am no longer with christo. I work for my self up in louisville. Do a mobile service as well as work out of the house. Any way I can help let me know. Does kendals truck still have the blower? later robbie

powderpig said:
Sorry to say, i do not remember every one that has traveled through slee offroad. I am no longer with christo. I work for my self up in louisville. Do a mobile service as well as work out of the house. Any way I can help let me know. Does kendals truck still have the blower? later robbie

I know you saw alot of trucks go through, I was just saying thanks again for helping us out on such short notice.
Yes it has the blower and about $16000 in other parts. I am swaping most of the parts to a tan 40th Annivarsary. This way I get to modify it the way I want. This one has a blower also. I plan on a Slee 6 inch lift kit, sliders, rear bumper and 37's. It is a big job. I wanted the ARB lockers so I am going to swap the axles to save some cost plus I just had the front seals and bearings replaced for about $1100 this spring. I wish I could have brought the trucks to you or Slee, not many mechanics have worked on these.

powderpig said:
I can not remember Kendals last name, but he installed most every thing himself when it came to electrical. I beleive he even installed his own tank. These tanks are really nice, made sturdy and will take a bang really well. Your best bet is to talk to Kendal if you can get ahold of him. He really had his own way of doing stuff. We got our tanks at the same time and christo and kendal did the electrical in a unique way and I did it a real easy way (with no circuit board). I beleive we all spiced into the level reading on the dash guage the same way. On the driver side under the dash down by the pedals to the left above the dead pedal you may see a wire spliced(aftermarket) into another wire(stock not super big bundel). this is more than likely the dash wire feed to the fuel guage. There usually was with this install a little switch to the left of the steering wheel (black small square, up and down position not marked). This switch controls what tank you are viewing on the dash guage. the switch with the circuit box controled the fuel pump and the automatic like functions of the stock system that is in Aus.
To find what wires kendal used at the back with the stock wiring diagram you will need the toyota Electrical Wiring Diagram book for the specfic model year you are working on. In most cases the EWD is close enough to work for a couple of model.
The switch you are showning in the picture is a stock toyota sub tank switch for you model year truck(and several years of range). The plug on the end was the way Kendal connected the wires to the truck and the control unit. If you did not trace and pull this control unit you may be SOL on this as the boxes were a custom make and christo may or may not Make another. You would have to contact him. The sender in the aux tank is toyota part and has toyota specfic resistance to match the dash requirement in the 80 series. The fuel pumps we used for this was some from Carquest, and it strictly was a transfer pump(one that could be run dry). it pumps fuel from the aux to the main at about a gal a minute, There also should be an inline fuel filter that you may want to change out at the time you swap. You you need to talk to me you may reach me on my cell 303-884-7813. I no longer work for christo. later robbie

Well I found the circuit board but the shop had already cut it out of the original truck so I have no idea where all the wires are supposed to go. Is there a way to access all wiring diagrams for Toyota switches for this and future mods? Robbie did you have all the functions of Kendall and Christo's set up when you installed your tank the simple way? If so why did they go through all that work? Thanks.

Seth

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
The circuit board set up was to allow the pump to auto turn off when the rear tank was empty, and I believe when the main tank was full. I just have a relay that a switch turns on and I watch when the main is full. I have a true transfer pump that does not mind being run dry when the aux tank is empty. real simple.
As for the wiring diagrams, the EWD book toyota sell is about the best, it has all the wireing as well as the connectors so you can be sure you are on the right bundle, it also shows in most cases where these specific connectors can be found.
hope this helps. later robbie

powderpig said:
The circuit board set up was to allow the pump to auto turn off when the rear tank was empty, and I believe when the main tank was full. I just have a relay that a switch turns on and I watch when the main is full. I have a true transfer pump that does not mind being run dry when the aux tank is empty. real simple.
As for the wiring diagrams, the EWD book toyota sell is about the best, it has all the wireing as well as the connectors so you can be sure you are on the right bundle, it also shows in most cases where these specific connectors can be found.
hope this helps. later robbie

Thanks Robbie. I think I have the EWD book you are talking about.

I wasn't the one who removed the circuit from Kendall's truck but I think it was still wired in at the time. But my pump would not shut off automatically. This would be a nice feature I guess but not necessary. Maybe I will contact Slee to see if they have more info if I can't figure it out. I'll post back in a day or two.

Seth