• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Winch shortening party! Saturday 10/1/22

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Throwing out another option for stitching. I just use plain old #7/1-ounce pre-waxed sailmaker's twine. It's ends about 1mm like yours but being plain polyester would not be as strong (about 100 lbf test). I don't know of any reason why it would need to be rated cordage for this, though.

I prefer something waxed, it makes winding, stitching and tying easier. Plus with a quick heat pass seals and smooths the stitching. I'd probably send myself to a mental institution using my two left thumbs trying to tie UHMWPE into a tidy knot.

View attachment 107991
My winch extension line looks a lot like this, but not as pretty. Nice work Dave!!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
We had a good time yesterday. 8 in attendance. Did some demos and then made some loops.
Learned a lot. Its much harder to work old and wet winch line.
Once you understand how 12 strand hollow core dyneema and other brands of UHWMPE winch rope splices, not such a mystery.
Thank you @damon for hosting.

Attachments

• IMG_3251.jpg
    IMG_3251.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3250.jpg
    IMG_3250.jpg
    897.7 KB · Views: 85

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Wish I could have made it. Got my tie rod outers on with the exact spot on the jam nut about mid day and this thing is too sketchy to drive!