Wide vs Narrow Tires Test

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Well, glad I stayed with a 33x10.50 then instead of going to a 33x12.50 as I was thinking about doing when I got new tires...

Thanks for the video Chris!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
That's an amazing video. I watched all 16+ minutes.
My takeaway is BFG > Mickey Thompson.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The difference in how they performed was interesting.

Wouldn't think of it as better, just different. The KM3 seems better in rocks based on his model but could be worse on hard pack or pavement, which could require something different from the tread and sidewalls.

I've said before my favorite tire ever on the 1991 was a 33x10.50 BFG MT.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
X2 here. Since they changed the tread pattern on those I have switched to Toyo Open Country M/T 33 x 10.50
That’s what I went with too. I suspect it’s not a very flexy tire but I haven’t really tried it out yet
IMG_4800.jpeg

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
That’s what I went with too. I suspect it’s not a very flexy tire but I haven’t really tried it out yet

I've been running them on my 40 for several years now and find them comparable on and off road to the old KM2 BFG M/Ts, and better in the snow. I put a set on my 45 this past year too.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member

I feel that was not a true comparison, at least a fair one. IMO. Those BFG's were used, and used well it appeared. I'd like to see how a brand new KM3 fit into the mix.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I feel that was not a true comparison, at least a fair one. IMO. Those BFG's were used, and used well it appeared. I'd like to see how a brand new KM3 fit into the mix.
i'm getting new tires soon.... we can run a test on old vs new on km3,s

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Awesome vid

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I recently discovered his videos while soaking up GX550 content, this one addressing articulation and the evolution of the kdss bars got a double watch from me, he understands the tech and does a great job presenting and teaching about it:
View: https://youtu.be/c0CqIZJAx9k?si=WNefWHYr7Hebz9Of

I priced new tires the other day but dang... I'll need to go smell them and touch them first at current rubber rates before I swipe the card o_O:cool: