white smoke

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
White smoke is steam....hopefully just from condensation in your exhaust

acon40

Banned
Sorry, i was driving when I posted it. It's white, but not a steam white....not blue, but richer then steam for sure......has a strong odor too...

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
If it takes a couple minutes it is most likely just moisture created by condensation or from the catalytic processes and will depend on outside temp (like seeing your breath)
The smell is key .... strong smell of "normal" exhaust combustion is OK. The bad smell is almost "sweet" and should strike you as being abnormal, that would indicate burning anitifreeze, not a good thing.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Alex,

Keep an eye on your coolant level (in the overflow bottle) starting with a known level (both at cold temps and hot if possible). Monitor it everyday for awhile if possible to see if you notice any loss of coolant. If you do it is going somewhere and if it isn't ending up on the driveway/road then it is probably going into the enging and being burnt off. I think another check is to look at the spark plugs and check if anyone in particular looks a lot cleaner than the others.

Other quick checks are the oil fill cap (any milky looking substance on it?) and the overflow bottle "bubble test". I've been watching the 80 as the exhaust on it smells considerably different (IMO) than does the LX.

I'm probably paranoid that the HG is going to go on the 80 because I neither have the time nor $$ to address it. I am secretly hoping the HG goes in the LX as I have an aftermarket warranty that will cover the cost (most of it anyway).