White rim trail?

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Anyone done the White rim? I'm going next week. Trail is 100mi, +40 mi each way from nearest gas station. So should I carry gas? I get 300 mi/tank on hwy.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I've done it on a bike. Not sure about extra gas. Our support vehicle, a Cherokee, did it without extra gas, I think. Are you camping in there? Permits are required last I heard. Its a very cool trail, not partciularly challenging from a 4wd standpoint but VERY scenic. Have fun.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
There are 12 of us including kids going mostly mtb. My rig is the support vehical/kid carrier. We have a permit for camping at Gooseberry and Potato bottom 10/30,31. My family is headed from Vail to Dostero up 136? from Doterso to hwy 40 Dinosaur NM. To Bluebell UT for a corn Maze and pumpkin patch, then to Caynonlands/Moab for the week. To Pagosa hot springs for a soak. A few runs opening weekend at Wolf Creek. Then back to Vail for work 11/6. It'll be a lot of windshield time, but that's the way I like it.

Myredyota

Trail Ready
With all the rain thay have had out there, you would be very wise to see if the trail is even open! I just got back from Moab, now I really hate MUD! :mad: The rain has really changed all the "dry" stream beds. Their banks are undercut and very weak (ask me how I know)! If you do go, have fun!

Convert

Hard Core 4+
I would definitely check on weather and the aftermath of it. On The Outlaws Run we had a lot of washed out trails and muddy conditions. Utah has had a lot of rain the last few weeks
Dan

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Myredyota said:
With all the rain thay have had out there, you would be very wise to see if the trail is even open! I just got back from Moab, now I really hate MUD! :mad: The rain has really changed all the "dry" stream beds. Their banks are undercut and very weak (ask me how I know)! If you do go, have fun!

In one week they have gotten aroud 4inches. The usual anual rain fall for the desert. That are will take some time to get back to normal. Bring extra gas and water. Alsways good to have extra. Bring shovels and axes. We were doing some road building on the Outlaws Run this year. Not uncomon out there. Most washes consist of soft sand, and sometime you are able to drive into the wash to re-build the road(we did this a few times). White Rim was closed when I was out there(10-8). Would recomend checking with the forest service. Have a fun trip and take lots of pics:beer:

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Thanks, It funny everyone I tell I headed to Moab tells me to check that the trails are open. I'll be checking with them on Friday before I head out. If white rim is closed maybe a Golden Spike will be open. Hmmm.
From what I've heard, they canceled 24 hrs of Moab (MTB race) and many roads have been closed. I also heard at one point there was standing water on Main st. Anual rain fall to classify as "desert" it under 7in anually. I bet 4in made a good mess. I still hate carrying extra gas. I just haven't come up with a non smelling way to transport it. Maybe jerry can on my spare tire. I stopped carrying a shovel as I've never actually needed one, thanks for the reminder. We don't need no stinking water, we can just drink pee.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
New Official Motto of Rising Sun:

farnhamstj said:
We don't need no stinking water, we can just drink pee.

:eek: :hill:

A

Alan Podvin

carry gas

if you need to carry gas in a non smelly way cheker auto carries a really good NATO spec can 5 gal and totally sealed I have carried it inside and no spills smells not that Id suggest that but definetly wont leak also drop one when I got airborn still no leak would be interested to hear waht trails are open supposed to go to MOAB this weekend

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Checker used to carry a Briggs and Stratton can that was a knockoff of the Wedco at a nice price. Of course, for that reason they no longer carry it, or so I am told.

The Wedco (NATO, derived from a Nazi design believe it or not) is superior in all respects, and with Alan I would highly recommend it. They make a blue water can too. Be sure to get the spout for the gas can.

Spare oil, spare water, spare parts are de rigeur in the desert! Also epoxy putty finds many uses, ask me how I know...

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the advice. I've always got oil, 90w, h20, and parts and tools. I have friends that jbwelded the tranny pan back together near Bartlet Wash in Moab and then drove the rental minivan back to MN. His wife returned it no questions asked. There's no Checker nearby. I'll check Carquest and Napa. Guess. I don't want to bring the leaky POS that I currently have.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You can get Wedco online too. But I got mine from the little no-name auto parts place up the street.