Whining diff

nye307

New-ish
So, I have a 97 manual V6 4x4 SR5 I'm trying to flip. A potential buyer stated he heard whining coming from the front diff. I didn't really hear it but I topped it off just in case (turned out to be low). Question is, in a worst case scenario and the guy is right does a whining noise mean the diff is going to see it's imminent demise or is it possible for these things go for a while longer? I kind of think the guy was full of it and trying to beat me down on price but unfortunately I can't just ignore the complaint.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Was this an old or young, a gear head or not? In other words, someone you think should know what gear whine sounds like? At least verses other sounds like bearings and such.

A stick shift Tacoma isn't going to be Cadillac quiet afterall. It's my experience that the diffs don't make as much whine as the R150 does or the t-case, at least that you can hear in the cab. Whine by itself isn't a problem. It's just the sound of gear teeth meshing. So it's unusual whine you need to be concerned with.

If the diff is making noise and you found low fluid a worn pinion bearing or perhaps the side bearings would be my concern. The front diff on 1995+ Tacoma is prone to wearing the little needle bearings that carry the inner CV shaft, especially on the driver side since the axle comes out and immediately drops towards the hub. It's not a whine but more of a hum and a vibration you can feel.

Technically all IFS clamshell diffs can have this but it never was a problem with my 1991 while my 2008 got it at pretty low miles. It could also be that in 1995 Toyota flipped the front diff to the left side so now LHD truck drivers are just more likely to hear it.

Or the rear driveshaft carrier bearing, that transmits right into the back wall of the cab. I'd also check levels in the rest of the drivetrain.

Last edited:

nye307

New-ish
Young guy, total jackass. He had a HUGE problem with the PS fluid being red and likely ATF. Mind you the car has 0 leaks. Also, according to him apparently light surface rust on the lip of the frame will cause the frame to come apart.

Thank you for all the info. Are you saying that even a light vibration isn't necessarily a concern?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Young guy, total jackass. He had a HUGE problem with the PS fluid being red and likely ATF. Mind you the car has 0 leaks. Also, according to him apparently light surface rust on the lip of the frame will cause the frame to come apart.
LOL. Most def a tool. ATF is exactly what it's supposed to be...
Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 3.14.27 PM.png
Thank you for all the info. Are you saying that even a light vibration isn't necessarily a concern?
Well yes, but no. You don't want to totally overlook any vibration. But it's an old 4WD, it's gonna have a few aches and pains.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Totally new to the Tacoma world, but was he tooling around in 4wd? Or are they not all part time?