Which truck to bring?

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Excited for my first cruise Moab! Got lucky at registration and am doing the swell overnight with Kurt, poison spider with Jackson, and the hells revenge with Daniel. All rated as 6. Do I take my 2007 100 with ARB bumpers front and rear and king spring enhanced AHC or my 1995 80 with the shortbus front bumper? Both trucks are on 33’ KO2s, have come up winches, and have ARB rear lockers. 80 is probably more capable with 2.5” OME lift and suspension, but not as comfortable on the road.

I have a tent that zips onto my ARB canopy that fits both trucks, or could sleep in either truck as I built sleeping decks for each. Also could ground tent camp if that is what most people do. Welcome any guidance and if rising fun folks usually camp in the same place?

Best regards,

todd

Attachments

• 62B93A26-AFC6-4EA7-AC7C-1E102A22AC8B.jpeg
    62B93A26-AFC6-4EA7-AC7C-1E102A22AC8B.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 71

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Hi Todd. Good questions. I am in a similar situation. I will be bringing my 80 this year because it’s new to me and I’ve not taken it to Moab yet.

Two years ago I brought my 100 and my rooftop tent. I was annoyed with my tent because I had to deploy and pack away the tent each evening and morning. I decided to sell the rooftop tent and buy a ground tent so that I could leave it setup and use it as a base camp for CM and similar trips.

The ground tent would be my first choice, but if I was not bringing my family with me I’d probably sleep in the cruiser.

Based on your trail choices I think you’ll be fine with either rig, but if I had to pick one for you, I would bring the 80 due to lift and clearance.

Scott

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I did Hell's and lots of the Swell in my stock 100 with AHC and it did great. Never done Poison Spider.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Ground tent and 80.

Skidoo

Rock Stacker
"Leave the 80, take the 100" - The Godfather

Done all of those in my 100 (my is a little more built, but you should do fine in the Swell) and my friend did Poison and Hells in his LX470 w/ AHC & King springs.
Weather has been on the cool side, and camp for the Swell Overnight is at 8,000, you will be loving those heated seats when you have coffee in the morning.
2nd time I did the Swell for CM it was damn cold camping out there, froze my 7 gal water jug.

Most every one will be camping at Old Spanish Trail Arena, info should be in your packet.

Last edited:

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Love the godfather quote! Think I will take the 80 because I have never done many challenging trails with it. Will put up a tent and not have to mess around with ARB canopy. Look forward to sharing some good bourbon with all y’all!

todd

Last edited: