Which Digital Video Camera?

pmccumber

Hard Core 4+
Anybody paying attention in this space? What would you buy and why?

I probably would avoid rotating media but other than that, I don't have any preconceived opinions.

Paul

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I was researching these a while back. Didn't buy one. Was looking at a Cannon small HD one that takes SD cards. Seemed like it had great reviews.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I've been happy with my 8mm Sony that is probably 10 years old so I've been looking at those...

I think it was this version that I decided was what I'd like but they're pretty pricey :(

HDR-XR520V

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
what are you using it for? Just kid/wheeling clips, or more professional videos?

We've actually been very pleased with the quality from our little point & shoot Canon powershot SD750, since all we want are little videos to watch on the computer.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

pmccumber

Hard Core 4+
My kids play sports and there really is no substitute for video in terms of teaching. I need to have the boy see his stride pitching. I want to be able to show the little girl where she should be for rebounds. I do want to video some wheeling, hiking, home stuff.

Plus I am going to quit playing fast-pitch baseball (I am gonna be 49) and wouldn't mind getting some high-quality video of a 450' bomb before I hang 'em up completely:D

I should look at the flips. They have them at BestBuy and you can try them out there. Some of the Canons sans hard drives look appealing too.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
we have a basic JVC camera

Ours is used for kid-stuff, parody videos for the company holiday party, etc. It's HD, 30gb HD and does a fine job. It was about $600 4 years ago at Best Buy and the same/slightly better/newer one is about $400. works fine for me, but I'm no video hound. it's wicked small, I like that. (yes, I'm orginally from Mass.)