where to get quality water pump for a 2f

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Shawn has a 76 fj40 and it seems that toyota has discontinued the water pump for this engine. :mad::mad::mad:
So my question for Shawn's truck is where to get a quality water pump to make the truck happy again?
I thought I would help find the parts. Thanks in advance for any help.:D

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Wow. I'm amazed Toyota would discontinue such a commonly replaced part on an engine that is in so many vehicles. :(

Is it that much different than an FJ60 waterpump? I just replaced mine in my FJ60 this fall and I got an OEM part.

Shawn has a 76 fj40 and it seems that toyota has discontinued the water pump for this engine. :mad::mad::mad:
So my question for Shawn's truck is where to get a quality water pump to make the truck happy again?
I thought I would help find the parts. Thanks in advance for any help.:D

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Yes - Toyota has discontinued the 76-78 water pumps. I was quite surprised that they pulled this gimmick. Later pumps are more likely to have the oil cooler casting port, so if you get one of these, you'll have to cap off that port.

I've had pretty good luck with GMB pumps. Whatever you do, do not buy a 'reman' water pump - I've never had one (on any vehicle) last more than 18 mo. -2 years. Stick with a 'new' one. GMB makes lots of water pumps sold under many names, so if you go to Autozone, just pull it out of the box and see if it says 'GMB' on it anywhere. Typically, their name will be in the casting.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Wow.

Guess I'd better be ready for if/when my water pump goes!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
SOR has - Water Pump-
O.E.M.-Fits 1/75-8/76 FJ40 & FJ55 without oil cooler-SOR recommends replacing #054-26 gasket, order separately

and aftermarket

Water Pump-
Fits 8/76-1/79 FJ40 with fan clutch, without oil cooler -SOR recommends replacing #054-26 gasket, order separately

Reference the cooling section of the FSM and there is a great picture of the different pumps and pulleys. You could problaby swap the pulley and the pump with a different era 40 and will be fine.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Treeroot!

I was just about to inquire about which water-pump I might have...with or without oil cooler.

Can I assume I don't have that? yeah...I'm not real knowledgable about my 40 yet.

thanks everyone!

bigbluefj

Honorary Canuck Member
just by chance i would have to try to find it, but i do believe i have one some where in the house it's brand new never installed eyour welcomed to it if i can find it..

kevin

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I have had very good experience with reman pumps from IPW (Import Parts Warehouse). The are reman OEM pumps and I have have had over 100k miles on a couple.

bigbluefj

Honorary Canuck Member
i found the one i have so, i'll take a photo of it and if you want it we can work something out..

kevin