35.9 KB · Views: 202
  • RS2.jpg
    RS2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 197

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Red Cone. Awesome trail run and the view from the top is one of my favorites

Oh that is a great trail. I love every inch of it and long for it all winter, if I had a snowmobile, I'd probably check into riding up there and snowboarding down the hill. It gets snowed out relatively early and dries a little late, but a good trail. You can also get to it from the road that splits off loveland pass right where keystone begins (cant remember the town from the life of me Montezuma???) Fun stuff, beautiful scenery, and a great place to lose your breath coming down a steep hill. If you are afraid of steeps or cliffs don't go, but it's really not as bad as everyone says. I rode the trail and crawled my 80 toy pickup (built fairly well 5:29s, rear detroit, flex to heaven, fuel injection, and swampers) down the "hill of doom" that I had heard so much about for the first time after pinching my rear brake line and losing pretty much all my brakes without problem. The thought of losing brakes altogether made me keep my seatbelt off and ready to jump though (no doors either). The pics do not do that trail any justice, no matter how good the pic.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
That hill is nothing. It was kind of a let down.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Try it on a 300lb. 650 dirtbike sometime, it will get your attention.

By the way, Randy Hickenbottom (S. Park Ranger) would like to talk to us about doing work/ possible adoption on Hall Valley (south side of Webster). It needs some attention and working with Randy would be a very good thing for the club. He is quite pleased with the contributions 4x4 and other OHV clubs have made to the Hayman area and Rampart Range.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
I've hiked in area's like that, but have yet to find a track that high you can legally take a vehicle on anywhere up here. Looks like fun.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Just north of there the fun continues, all over the Swan River valley. Great area. White River Nat'l Forest IIRC, which is kinda a bummer (tend to be OHV unfriendly).

How would I drink my Esspresso on a dirt bike while I am wheeling:D

Why sir, in your hydration system of course! You can insulate the bags!

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like you are talking about Georgia pass that drops down into the Swan... That is a fun area.. generally a bit less crowded than Red Cone.

In years past it was a kick to watch people try to open up Webster pass.
As many of you may know there is a BIG snow drift (more like a wall) that usually goes across webster Right at the top just before it joins with Red Cone...

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Try it on a 300lb. 650 dirtbike sometime, it will get your attention.

My friends and I used to ride up there as often as we could. First with the XR600 and then the quads. The bike had an easier time of it since you could go around the ruts. I did have a blast on my Raptor, going up and down. The whole area up there is great and like they said, the views go on for ever.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
One of my favorite areas to wheel. I can't remember the name of the 4x4 route, but Shorty took us down it. Very rocky, pretty steep, deep woods, very pretty. Used to be one-way, down, or so I've heard. Anybody know the route and maybe could post up a topo of it? It empties out to one of the Swans and on out to Breck.

That's the problem with just following and not tracking on the map... sheesh.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
One of my favorite areas to wheel. I can't remember the name of the 4x4 route, but Shorty took us down it. Very rocky, pretty steep, deep woods, very pretty. Used to be one-way, down, or so I've heard. Anybody know the route and maybe could post up a topo of it? It empties out to one of the Swans and on out to Breck.

That's the problem with just following and not tracking on the map... sheesh.

Are you talking Missouri Gulch?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Mark referred to it by another name, that doesn't sound familiar. I don't think Mark's name for it was the actual name though. I remember the steepness, rockiness, and deep woods going down from our journey over Georgia Pass thence east along timberline, then down.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like Missouri Gulch to me. It takes off south off of the Middle Fork of the Swan not too far below treeline. I first drove it in a completely stock 40 in 1973 and then rode it on a automatic Husqvarna in 1978. Fun little stretch.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I remember those Huskies, they were the bomb. Briefly.

Could be then. I'd like to go up it next time. I smell a club run.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I remember those Huskies, they were the bomb. Briefly.

Could be then. I'd like to go up it next time. I smell a club run.

I would do a club run. Still a newbie for tougher runs, only done easy runs for the past 5 years or so. Would love to have some experts with me to walk me through the descent. I need to get a run in to be a member anyway. :)

T

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You bet d00d. I remember when Rising Sun had a reputation for crash-N-bash on only hard runs - didn't want to do that.

Now we like the full range of difficulty, and are good at taking noobs up stuff harder than they have tried before, but without damage (at least that's the goal) and never beyond what the person is comfortable trying.

Missouri Gulch coming down is not so hard with a good spotter. Going up would be a challenge.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Red cone is OK. Not too hard. I like the beginning in the woods the best. The wind at the top is amazing. I thought my top ws going to blow right off one time. The windsurfer/sailer in me says it was blowing 50+ knots. The decent isn't really that bad. The trick: Drop both sides down into the holes at the SAME time. They'll both slide, but equally. if you try one then the other, they slide one then the other, and you get sideways. not cool. I watched a friend in a scout II with brand new sticky-mickeys get crooked about 1/2 way down the steep part. He clutched it and let it ride/bounce to the bottom of the steeps before he dared hit the brakes.

You'll want to ride the brakes, but it really doesn't help. Stay off the brakes, Stay off the clutch. Remember this is supposed to be fun.