What's the best speaker Set up in an FJ-40

Spiderlegs

Wincher
I need help with the best speaker set up in an fj40? All pics and ideas are welcome.
Thanks!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
My best set up so far has been an iPod and one of these hats http://www.tookshats.com/. Works in all climate conditions, every soft top configuration, etc.

But it's not too social, I too am looking into a better setup. I look forward to seeing some other ideas..

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I've used some square boxes made of MDF, covered in fabric and tucked in the back corner between the roll cage and the tub, speakers firing up. :D

Spiderlegs

Wincher
I've used some square boxes made of MDF, covered in fabric and tucked in the back corner between the roll cage and the tub, speakers firing up. :D

Thanks guys. I like the took Idea and would really like to hear more ideas
Anyone, Anyone?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Don't know about best but I can tell you what is in my 40...

Currently I have a speaker box that was made by/for BTB products. I don't see it listed on their site so I guess they don't carry it anymore. I have the original sales receipt from the PPO when he bought it in Apr 2000 and is listed as the Speaker Box, Rear Rubinator Series I - FJ40, part # 50-5121 for a mere $489 + tax and shipping :eek: - You can see pictures of it below.

The problem with the box is that it takes up a fair amount of room, especially if you plan to run a rear bench seat or similar like I do. With jump seats it would probably be fine. It'll have to come out when I install my rear seats so I'll lose my speakers :(

Based on this I started looking into other alternatives. There are a fair number of threads on MUD about speakers. Many run the outdoor box speakers (like Bose ones etc) and attach them in the rear on the wheel wells or from the roll bars etc. I've also looked into the Tuffy speaker boxes that sit on the wheel wells but with a full cage I don't think they'll fit in my case. I also have looked into the overhead speaker consoles commonly found in Jeeps that attach to the roll bars. Probably not an option for me however due to how my roll cage is setup (space issues).

As of right now I'll probably go with something like these - kick panel speakers. I bought some off ebay that are similar but were about 1/2 as much and not rhino lined, just bare metal. They also aren't full panels like these IIRC. If I ever get around to installing them I'll see how things sound and go from there. I'd like to keep the rear speaker box but it isn't going to happen since I need rear seats and space for the kids to put their feet.

HTH

pics...

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 502
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Speakers in an FJ40?? I don't think they make any loud enough to cover the noise of my rattles, tires and the wind. :D

I just enjoy the music of tire and 2F.

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Whatever you do, buy the biggest amp possible.... and turn the dang thing down when you get to town! :D

wesintl

RS Moderator
super swampers.. plus you always know the tune..

isotel

Ive been trying to overcome the noise of the truck with a decent sterio.. My next setup is going to have some 5 1/4" in the kick pannels, tweeters in the A pillar of the cage, and 4"ers in the gussets of the B Piller of the Cage..

Maybe Marine Grade speakers this time!

my current setup is Computer speakers on the rear corners of the truck, with 6 1/2" speakers one under the drivers seat, the other on the Pass kick pannel, but they are all blown out at this point..

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I had 6x9" speakers mounted is some of the prefab boxes you can get most everywhere. Bolted down to the floor under the jump seats. (seats folded down the box supported the seat) The speakers faced each other. The boxes where almost the exact same height as the wheel wells. Sorry no pic, the 40 is in storage. 100w amp. I never had any problems with rain even with just a bikini top.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Well, I used to install car audio on high end systems when I was in college.

At one point I had all high end gear in my fj40... and you know what? It sounded like a high end stereo inside of a tuna fish can. If you are going for sound quality, sell it and get an 80. If you are just looking for tunes I would get a good (read Alpine) headunit, and then strap some 6x9's or the bose 151's (these are an outdoor speaker, that can be easily attached to the roll bar) in the rear of the bed aimed at your head.

When the hard top is on I use two panels in the top with speakers mounted, here is a pic of one with the top off... you get the idea, the front one goes up along the front edge.

If you can remember that high frequencies are directional, and low frequencies are not, it will help you in getting some good sound to your ears. Trevor is on the right track with his idea. Dash mounted tweeters or small drivers pointed at you would be the best option for hearing it on the road... but then you gotta drill. :(

Kick panels are another good place, but the kick vents create some problems in speaker depth. I am going to make up a set for my kicks here in a few weeks, if anyone wants a set let me know... we can work something out.

The short answer is, you won't get good sound quality, but you can compensate by going louder... but then you are that guy at the stoplight who is SCREAMING the spice girls greatest hits! :D

Drew

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
pics...

You can see I added a dome light up front, and I plan on adding in a map/sunglasses pocket on the front side of both panels...

The front one may be for sale soon :D

Drew

Attachments

• speak1.JPG
    speak1.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 499
  • speak2.JPG
    speak2.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 634
  • speak3.JPG
    speak3.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 813

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
great points, Drew!

Hey! I used to do that in college, too! I totally agree with everything you mentioned...and I'll add...

When you are looking to get an amp and speakers, try to match the amp power fairly closely to the speakers' power handling rating. That is...if you go get a 50x4 amp and hook up speakers rated to 1000w each - that amp can't really push enough juice to make those speakers 'sing'. I chose to match things like this...I have a 50x4 (RMS) that peaks at 90. My speakers are rated to like 120. That will help maximize the potential sound quality.

RMS = Root Mean Squared (I believe?) but refers to the 'constant' wattage being pushed, typically they peak higher.

As you get deeper into this stuff and want to get a "clean" amp - look for the lowest THD%. I think that means Total Harmonic Distortion - you want low. Like I had an old Alphasonic amp back in the late eighties that was like .002% THD. Although it was only like 35w RMS man...it sounded GREAT.

Now...it's been alot of years, and alot more :beer: so I hope I remembered that stuff correctly...

HTH

Spiderlegs

Wincher
Hey! I used to do that in college, too! I totally agree with everything you mentioned...and I'll add...

When you are looking to get an amp and speakers, try to match the amp power fairly closely to the speakers' power handling rating. That is...if you go get a 50x4 amp and hook up speakers rated to 1000w each - that amp can't really push enough juice to make those speakers 'sing'. I chose to match things like this...I have a 50x4 (RMS) that peaks at 90. My speakers are rated to like 120. That will help maximize the potential sound quality.

RMS = Root Mean Squared (I believe?) but refers to the 'constant' wattage being pushed, typically they peak higher.

As you get deeper into this stuff and want to get a "clean" amp - look for the lowest THD%. I think that means Total Harmonic Distortion - you want low. Like I had an old Alphasonic amp back in the late eighties that was like .002% THD. Although it was only like 35w RMS man...it sounded GREAT.

Now...it's been alot of years, and alot more :beer: so I hope I remembered that stuff correctly...

HTH
I like what you did with the hardtop and my question is when you make the kicks will you still be able to use the kick vents. If yes let me know I may have you make up a set for me too.