What's it worth?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've been thinking about selling my FJ40. Not sure that I want to part with it, but the financial aspects would make sense for my family. Just curious: what do y'all think it's worth? I'm not looking for the "$100 and a can of rusty bolts" answer, nor the "whatever someone is willing to pay you" answer. How much money would be a fair price, both to me and to a potential buyer? Here's the scoop:

1981 FJ40 "Hulk"
  • Color: grass green
  • 120k miles
  • original 2F engine, runs great
  • original 4-speed tranny, shifts like buttah
  • split transfer case w/ Mark's (of Australia) gears in transfer case (3:1) - spendy uprade ($1200 just for parts)
  • No leaks or drips
  • Seats in great condition, gray vinyl
  • Original hard top and doors
  • STC soft top
  • STC bikini top
  • OEM soft top mirrors
  • Aqualu aluminum tailgate
  • 4" BDS lift
  • Old Man Emu anti-inversion shackles (except the one next to the power steering box, which has been modified)
  • Rancho 9000 shocks
  • 33" x 12.50" Goodyear MT/R tires (5). The spare has never touched the ground. Mounted on original '81 Toyota white spoke wheels.
  • Front axle rebuilt
  • Saginaw power steering
  • Uniden CB radio, tuned for serious power
  • Conn-Ferr bench seat, recovered with gray vinyl
  • Custom front roll cage
  • Cool Cruisers "Hell For Stout" front bumper
  • Sweet T-Rex sliders (designed by Dave Brown and built by the Millers)
  • Under-door area has been cut for more clearance
  • Rear wheel wells not cut (yet)
  • Back bumper is super beefy, with OEM taillights integrated. Needs a new tire carrier for the spare. (I've been discussing this with Oleg.)
  • original 3.7 gears in diffs: you can go 80 MPH on the highway with comfort and ease.
  • Lock-Right in rear diff
  • Warn premium hubs up front
  • Cool air horn
  • Hella headlights (lots of light, looks stock)
  • Optima Yellow-Top battery
  • Sony stereo with CD player and 4 high end speakers (Polk in rear)
  • Brakes are great
  • Heater is magnificent
  • Rear heater (in center console: this started in 1981, IIRC)
  • Just passed emissions earlier this year (and I just bought my 5-year historical plates)
Very little rust
  • minor bubbles above rear fenders near rivets
  • front floor boards are rusty from trapped moisture under the original rubber mats

Attachments

• Hulk_81-FJ40.jpg
    Hulk_81-FJ40.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 393

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
More than $3,000, less than $10,000 but....

The FJCruiser is changing prices like we thought it might. I'd say 23,000 on eBay:)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
At least $8K, but I think Mike is right on ebay. Give it a run with a reserve of $(-$11K and see what happens.

Looking at a supercharger?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I think you'll regret selling it. Think hard about it. That looks like a super nice 40. I'd say that's a 10K 40 if the rust isn't too bad. It looks clean. Has it been repainted? As mentioned, Ebay will bring more, but it will likely mean one less cruiser in town. Probably sell to someone in Kalifornia or the East coast.

Pretty soon Rising Sun is going to have nothing but a bunch of 80's & Lexus' on runs. :rolleyes:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
MARTIN said:
Pretty soon Rising Sun is going to have nothing but a bunch of 80's & Lexus' on runs. :rolleyes:

Naw, there will be Al, Ige, Terry and treeroot.

What's wrong with 80's and Lexus':hill:

FJBen

I'd give ya 10K or trade for my 80 series :D

I think on the Bay she'd definitley sell for more, other than the fact I'd rather seem someone local here pick it up.

(starts looking for change in the couch cushions) Lets see how quick I can find the money! :beer:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Don't do it.

Just think of the smile on his face when your son (or daughter) drives it in 10 years. It's a really sweet 40.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Romer said:
What's wrong with 80's and Lexus':hill:

I'm just jealous because I can't afford an 80 or a Lexus. Or a 40 as nice as Hulks... :D

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
wesintl said:
Don't do it.

Just think of the smile on his face when your son (or daughter) drives it in 10 years. It's a really sweet 40.

Yeah, I think I'll regret it, but I may need to sell anyway. We'll see. I hadn't thought about eBay -- good suggestion if I do need to sell.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Hey Matt-

I think there are really only 4 catagories for the 40's

beaters... under 2k
average... between 2-5k
nice-->real nice... 5-12k
full resto... 12+

I would say your cruiser is easily on the high end of nice for sure. I would think in the range of 10-12k but like has been said already, Ebay would net a higher bidder and national market... heck, being the "commander" of one of the best landcruiser clubs in the country isn't going to hurt anything either!

All that said, my cruiser has appreciated more than most people's stocks in recent years, my vote would be keep it around until something forces the sale, the value of a nice 40 is only going up.

I love the green!

Drew

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
MARTIN said:

Uh-huh. And they say us minitruck guys are silly for feeling invisible in the TLCA world...
Rising Sun ain't a landcruiser club, YO! :rant: :lmao: :thumb:

11K, Matt. If you are doing something you will long regret, you can at least console yourself with the money you got.

At least, it helps me when I remember a certain Ducati 750 F1...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
MARTIN said:

And your point? ;) There will always be old iron in the club! Thats the meaning of enthusiast! Wagons are still Cruisers just newer and comfortable! The dark side (non Cruiser Toy's :D )is always there too and that force is strong!
jab.gif

Romer said:
At least $8K, but I think Mike is right on ebay. Give it a run with a reserve of $(-$11K and see what happens.

Looking at a supercharger?
sorry but this is just me being new but where could I get a supercharger?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
sorry but this is just me being new but where could I get a supercharger?
Ben, you get them from Toyota, but they don't fit 2F's.. however a recent trend among members who also own 80 series is to sell one of their other trucks then supercharge the 80. Uncle Ben did that by selling a sweetly built 62, Romer did it when he sold his 40, now he's hoping Hulk will follow suit!

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Ben you can super charge a 40 if you go v8 power! :D

That'd be sweet to see a blower coming through the hood of a 40!

I wonder if anyone down the Elwood chapter has one?

Drew

FJBen

Sweet! I can sell my wifes 80 and get a supercharger!!! :D she can walk right???:rolleyes:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Sure. And I bet you have a comfy couch!

I just thought the compression is so low you put 7- 10 psi and these things would be unstoppable