• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

What the hell....

acon40

Banned
Ok, took the door panel off, speaker out, yada yada.....still clueless. The Pass side front door swings open while driving. If you go to shut it softly it just bounces right back. I am so clueless with this right now and I have such a sour taste in my mouth with this truck right now. I know I will get over it, but this could turn bad...real bad. But I do have it shut with a bungie chord. Thoughts? 95 cruiser.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Maybe take it to a mechanic? Maybe another set of eyes could help you figure it out?

Just a suggestion. You could catch me on a bad day and you could buy my cruiser out from under me for pennies on the dollar. Hang in there, you'll get it.

Drew

acon40

Banned
Thats the funny part.....came back from charlies with no answer.....been meaning to take it back, but sooooo over it hahah. Should i just replace the entire lock setup?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Hey Drew, will you call me up next time that happens? :D ;)

Sorry acon, I have enough trouble with my FJ40 doors, and don't know anything about the 80s. Have you tried MUD? Maybe there's something in the latch that's sticking - does everything move freely?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
You might contact Oleg at Irbis -see for sale section and buy a used lock assembly. That shouldn't be too bad and is a good chance thats the issue.

I might have a lock assembly in my parts pile. Shoot me an email to remind me to look if you think you need one.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
On Mud, there are stories of the door latches on 80s containing plastic parts that wear out and the doors sticking *shut*, resulting in many hours of removing the driver's seat and door panel (from inside the truck with the door shut) to get inside and get it 'unstuck'. Beware. If your latch is getting funky, you might want to pull the inside panel NOW as a precaution. Removing the seat and door panel sounds like no fun with the door shut!

Steve - 95 FZJ, etc.