• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

What does “Closed for Administrative Use” mean?

cbmontgo

Hard Core 4+
As feared/suspected, this trail is permanently closed. Anyone who doubts that there is a bigger agenda to shut down motorized travel throughout the backcountry is mistaken. Our kids and grandkids won't have the same opportunities that we had on OUR public lands.

Here is the reply from CORE (thanks, @nuclearlemon for the contact over there):

"Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, I know exactly what is going on with 436 and a number of other trails in the South Park District and the Pike National Forest in general. The end of 436 was converted to an administrative use only section in the Final Decision of the PSI Travel Management Process that was signed last November. The Pike has begun implementing that decision this summer. That is why you may find route closures showing up seemingly out of nowhere.

I commented extensively to keep the roads around Buffalo Peaks open entirely, but the South Park District has not shown any willingness to listen to motorized users and as a result 60% of all the road closures in the decision were in the South Park District. We didn’t name 436 specifically in the litigation that we filed in February to challenge the final decision, but the determination to disallow public use on 436 fell in line with many of the other closures we are challenging.

I wish I had better news to report, and thank you for asking the question."

What is the end game here?

FZJ Dave

What is the end game here?
The mantra of the conservation groups is "Protect the best, restore the rest."

This applies to SUWA and Utah, but they are working with BLM and USFS to close as much as possible to motorized use.