What Battery for my 80?

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
The battery in my 80 just died. So what battery to replace it with?

For now I only have one battery but will be eventually adding a dual battery system. A winch will probably come first though, so I need a battery up to that task in a single system.

I'm leaning towards a yellow top. Thoughts?

I'm going to be down in Denver tomorrow and Monday so let me know where you have found the best price on what ever you recommend.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
after searching MUD it looks like those who like the yellow top like the group 31.

I have no personal experience with the yellow's. My 60 had a red top installed by PO. I've had the truck since 4/04 with no problems so my experience is still very positive with Optima.

But still looking for feedback on other batteries.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have a yellow top Optima in my 40 and a red top Optima in my 80. Both have performed flawlessly.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have two different types in my 80. The first is an Orbital I bought from Napa. When I installed the dual batts I got a yellow top to be used as t6he deep cycle battery (Primary). I also put an orbital in Rachels 4runner.

No issues with any of them. Had the Orbitals 2.5 years and the yellow top a year and a half.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
So yesterday before the game I drove around looking for a group 31 yellow top in Denver.

4 Wheel Parts, $289.99. Non in stock. Not really interested in ordering one. Maybe it was my GB Packer shirt/hat?

Sam's club. only group 34's. red/yellow

Batteries plus, $239.99. Non in stock, but willing to order. Group 34's in stock, red/yellow/blue.

Anyone know of a place who actually may stock one?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I used what AutoZone had in stock. Worth ordering, cheaper.

After seriously discharging my two yellow tops welding at Jenny Creek, and not putting them on a 6A charger for a loooong time, they went flat. I thought I had toasted them, but a week or more on a 6A charger (in parallel, each individually would have taken less time I guess) brought them up and they have stayed up. The stock charging system is just not up to recharging flat batts.

Left the battery in this mostly dead state sitting on the garage floor until about March,

It is my understanding that it is bad to leave a battery on the concrete floor as it somehow drains the battery verus leaving it on your work bench. I don't know if if it true, but have heard it a couple of times.

Also, I have noticed an increase in battery prices. I bought a battery at Costco last Dec. for $55. I bought the same one for my other car last week and it was $70. The lady at the front desk said they were going up another $10 in a week. I couldn't believe it.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
If you're serious about getting into the silly-money zone, consider the Lifeline GPL-27T. Group 27 (fits perfectly), and 100AH & 185RC. Only issue is they don't make an "F" version, so you have to fiddle the cables a bit to get them crossed.

When I looked, the Optimas that fit had significantly less oomph...

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Well finally got around to ordering one. Turns out our local CarQuest, whos prices are normally way out of line, quoted $239.99 so I'll pick it up in the morning.

I decided on a blue top group 31 after speaking with a friend who works for optima. Something about how the terminal connect inside verse the yellow top.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Kevin (snowbored) PM'ed me yesterday with a few questions so I'm adding a picture here for him and everyone else.

Install was easy. No mods to factory cables required. However a little extra neg cable length was achieved by unclipping the harness containing the neg cable from the first clip connected to the inner fender. I also cut a cable tie holding three wiring looms directly behind the battery box. After that I had enough cable length to reach the neg post.

Also hod clearance at the neg post is pretty tight. I don't know if a set of Urban land Cruisers cables would clear, given the size of the mil spec clamps. I measured about 1/2" clearance for my application with hood closed.

Factory hold down works great with no mod.

For the record that's a D31M

Attachments

• 5145small.JPG
    5145small.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 174

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
That looks good Corbet. I would strongly suggest adding some sort of terminal covers, so that in the event of any big bump your terminals just won't touch the hood. I made mine out of an old mountain bike tire and a zip tie, but you can pay for them too. Just good prevention, IMO.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I put an Orbital 78 in my 40. That 25% off coupon from Checker I won at the meeting last week, plus a $10 promo gift card took the price way down. The battery listed for $180 and I walked out of there with the battery and a case of Valvoline at $ 0.99/qt with tax for $156. :D

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
That looks good Corbet. I would strongly suggest adding some sort of terminal covers, so that in the event of any big bump your terminals just won't touch the hood.

It's something I plan to get around to, but using my scientific snowball on the terminal slam hood closed measuring method I'm honestly not too concerned at this point. If I upgrade my cables to something with a larger clamp it will become a priority

Could you elaborate on the differences you were described on the yellow and blue tops?

The exact details went in one ear and out the other. But it was something about how the terminals are connected inside the battery. Next time I talk to him I'll get the full story.