Welder reccomendations- Denver area

I am swapping an sbc into my truck here in the next few weeks and I'm gonna need to buy a welder. I'm not looking for the most badass mofo in the world but I would like one that could handle the job of fabbing a crossmember and putting in the motor mounts. I will also be using it for various suspension projects in the future (soa, spring mounts etc.) I'm also looking for a good place to purchase it with a sweet price if possible. Would like to get one that uses gas. I've been leaning towards Miller, Lincoln, and Hobart, but I don't know much about different brands of welders, I've just heard the best things about those three. Price is relatively an issue but I'm looking for quality, durability, and something I won't have to send to tiawan for servicing. On another note, my 2F still runs decently (202000 miles) and is desmogged so it will be available. I was thinking of donating the smog equipment to Rising Sun (there is a parts network isnt there?) if it would be helpful to someone. Thanks.

Last edited:

Beater

Hard Core 4+
are you asking for advice on buying a welder, or do you need someone for fab work?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
x3...i just got one

Beater

Hard Core 4+
well - if your looking for purchase advice: here's the skinny

buy from a local shop

miller/htp/lincoln/thermal arc machines rarely break. However, when they do, miller and thermal arc have the best service/warranty.

If I were buying a miller mig, I would get a 251/250. yeah, more money, but a way better machine than the 175.

Lincoln's are "hotter" machines, very conservatively rated, on duty cycle and amperage.

In tig, which I would not have as my only machine, unless you are good at stick as well, Lincoln rules. Well, except for the maxstar by Miller, but few people need that type of machine.

In closing, MIG: buy lincoln at 185 and below, miller 185 to 255, lincoln above that.

If you need someone to do your work chassis wise, hit me offline and I can make some recommendations.

j

:beer:

Thanks for the replies and sorry about the confusing post, I edited it to help clarify what I meant. I heard tool king is not a bad place to go and that I may be able to get a good reman welder for a decent price. I may go check them out. Seems like it just comes down to what I want in a welder and that brand doesn't seem to matter too much when it comes to the major companies.

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Holy how swamped with info am I right now. I've been reading up in a few welding forums on different various models but have a few questions. Does gas make for a cleaner weld and better penetration or for a longer cycle time or just for different grade steels? I was reading on a specific lincoln model (yes home depot blagh) 3200HD mostly for reference and from the scattered info I've found (forums too, so 1/2 opinion and 1/2 knowledge not to mention nobody is always right) that with a flux core wire it can do up to 5/16 mild steel. I have not read anything that says that the same machine will do thicker steel with gas, so I am guessing that you could get a better cleaner weld with more penetration while taking less time with an argon/co mix, and that it wouldn't take as long to perform the same operation. Am I out in left field or is this close to being correct. And also, would the steel put into a toyota frame be considered "mild steel" ? My budget is probably going to land at about 600 bucks if I can help it but if that won't get me what I need I will save up a bit further for the right product. I have welded leaf spring hangers, shock mounts, and some other stuff like that at the last shop I worked at, but I was never instructed on how to properly set the machine up, how the wire speed/amps affected my work, or what the difference was between MIG/TIG, flux vs. argon or anything similar. My friend is still driving the very truck I performed my welds on 2 years later and they have held up just fine, but I want to know more of what I'm doing and more importantly have the right equipment to practice with. Sorry for being so long winded, the miller 175 looks good, but if I can get a machine that will do the job (maybe not as quick is fine, I'll drink a beer or two for cycle times) correctly and more importantly safely for a little less cash I will be stoked. I am a little impatient but I know this is not the kind of thing that should be an impulse buy without some good research first.

gahi

Trail Ready
dont forget that your going to need a bottle, and a hood. I have a miller 251, and I love it, but that's pretty far out of your price range. By buddy has the Hobart handler 140 that he bought from Tool King. It works well, but isnt big enough for doing heavy frame fab. The nice thing about it is that it runs off 115 volt, so you can use it anywhere. Another friend has the Hobart 185, from Tool King too, It runs on 230 volt and has a little more power. For a bottle you can get a cheaper one through a restaurant supplier, but you'll need an adapter to use it.
Check out these guys, http://www.generalair.com/
I've never used them but they are a Miller dealer and offer 0% financing. Also www.cyberweld.com has free shipping on their stuff.

Gary

Beater

Hard Core 4+
a 140 is plenty big for frame fab with proper prep and filler material. Most frames are 10 gauge at MOST.

beatdown, do yourself a favor, take a class first. I know I wish I had. I had to learn from several crabby old men with a oxy torch and stick when I was a kid.

By your last post, you need to get some schoolin first. Get the lincoln book, take a class at emily griffith's or arapahoe or something, and you will be very thankful.

c25/30 penetrates less than straight co2, and a 110 with gas is good only for sheetmetal and light duty.

however, a 110v with .30 fluxcore will do .25 (multipass - just like stick), and .125 on a single pass, .185 with good prep. nuthin wrong with root passes and void fills.

I would head over to the hobart forum, or the lincoln or miller forum, grab a bottle or six, and read up for a while.

Hell, there are several people here who I am sure would take donations and let you practice on their machines. just bring your own steel and donatable items...

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
I have an HTP 160 DV.. The DV (dual volt) allows you to run on 110 or 230. I thought that would be great, but in reality you not only have to flip a few tabs inside the machine, you have to have 2 different ends for the power cord, and swap them each time... I just leave it wired for v230 all the time.. works great!

If i had it to do over again i would buy a Miller or Lincoln..

I was actually gonna spend some time with a friend of mine who does tubework for a living, and may even have a job coming up being an apprentice pipewelder (slave in training really), and I really do want to learn in depth how to do what I am doing and what is happening when I do it, but the ignorant young man in me says that I've welded a spring hanger in place and it didn't break so I could weld a motor mount in as well. Not true, and I am probably lucky my friends leaf spring is still attached to his truck, but..... I do want to have the proper equipment when I get proficient. If it counts for anything, I will have a babysitter on this project, who will probably do most of the work anyway but if not he can slap me when I screw up. I'm funding my welder and soaking info. Thank you for the warning, and I do need to learn more about this before I weld anything of mine and jump on a highway.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
dude - pipe apprentice would be sweet. I WISH I could run stick bead like those guys do... Great trade, good pay and benies, one of the few jobs unions are good for imho.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
X4 I am very happy with mine :thumb:
X5, great versatile machine that does all I want, even thicker sheet metal - if the trigger modulator had any skill it would be better.

Call Dave Rios at General Air on Santa Fe & Rio Grande in Littleton and tell him I sent you. He will take care of you. He sells Miller and Lincoln.