Wanted: FJ40 hardware

subzali

Hard Core 4+
A couple things I need:

For the u-shaped radiator support, there are two carriage-bolt style bolts that bolt that support to the frame. One of mine is bent and is no longer avail. from Toyota. Rather than buying some generic carriage bolt from somewhere I'd like to install with OEM components. Does anybody have one sitting around? If not I might have to put it together with some non-OEM/JIS style hardware and figure it out later.

For the bib hinge that mounts to the frame, does anybody have the bolts/washers/nuts that came from the factory sitting around? The non-JIS hardware that is currently serving this duty really irritated me (because I had forgotten it was non-JIS) this time and I'd rather not put it back on.

OR - does anybody know any parts yards in Denver that currently have FJ40s in their inventory? I have tomorrow (Friday) off and may be able to squeeze some time to go to one or two and pull some stuff. If I don't make it tomorrow then the next time someone goes to a parts yard could you pull these for me? Thanks

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Matt,

I've got a small amount of misc bolts, nuts, washers, etc. left over from my '76 that I dip into from time to time. Do you have a picture of the carriage bolt you can post up? I can look in my stash to see if I might by chance have what you need. Probably no help on the bib hinge because I don't think mine are OEM either...

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Like Jeff I have a bolt jar and coffee can that might have what you need and you are welcome to it. The 40's are long gone from Colorado Auto Salvage and as of last week there were very few Toyota's in the yard and the prospects did not look good from the view of the pipeline waiting to be processed.

Regarding pulling nuts and bolts from the boneyard, in my experience it is fraught with the same perils that exist when we remove these from our trucks, i.e. about 1/2 of them will break off:D.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
One other consideration is Specter Off-Road. I have had nothing but high quality service from them, and they often are the only source for this kind of stuff.

Check the place Dave mentioned in this post http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=9810. They had three fj40's there. Two right behind the building and one off in the side yard. I pulled a decent dash and skid plate off. Not sure if they will have what you are looking for but if you have the time tomorrow you might as well check it out.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Bruiser...that might be the ticket.

Matt, SOR doesn't show the radiator support bolts as separate items and I'd rather not pay $60 (+ shipping) for the whole thing. Plus I need it fast (hopefully) so I can get my truck put back together and work on other things. But yes generally I use SOR too, especially if I have a lot of stuff and can consolidate my order a little bit.

Yeah, I can't remember if any of the 40s in that post had your carriage bolt, I should've snapped a couple of pictures, but I would think you'd be able to find one with it on there.

Same with the bib hardware.

I have been selling JIS YZN bolt kits on Mud for a month and can send you some JIS replacements free of charge if you'd like. They would be YZN JIS Flange Head bolts, I think they would have the indented head, but will have to check my stock. ToyoDIY shows a M8x30 for that application on my '79. Confirm that for your '77 and shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send them down, or you could meet me halfway, I am down in Broomfield/Westminster all the time.