• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Vibrations II

I've reported in this list (probably a couple of times) about vibrations I've been getting centering around my transmission/drive-shaft. Originally, I thought it was the driveline angle. Using Roger Brown's info about drive shafts , I measured the angle. I installed a shim , which brought the angle to a more reasonable value. I think that helped reduce the vibration, but not by much. So, I did another round of peering under the truck and discovered that the insulator (that's what Toyota calls it) bushings that sit between the cross-member and the transmission were cracked and pulling away from the metal. I stopped by Off Road Solutions and spoke with Mike Caskey and we drove around a little (boy, he's great) and he definately felt the vibrations. He pointed out the insulator and a problem with the rear u-joint. He thought that could be a first cut.

I replaced the insulator and drove it around a bit. The vibrations had now shifted further to the rear. (I'm glad it did, since I was worried about the output bearings of the transfer case.) This past weekend I replaced the u-joint and on Monday I brought the driveshaft to Drive Line Service in Colorado Springs (fairly close to my new office). Nice people, very fast, and I think reasonable ($50). So last night I replaced the drive shaft and realized that I was out of grease to lube the shaft. Bummer. Hopefully, this will do the trick.

Thanks guys for all your help with this. This could be very cool. Only a few more projects until Cruise Moab.

Matt