• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

U-Joints

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Replaced all 4 u-joints on the 80 this weekend. Not a terribly complicated project -- sledge hammer and some old sockets are really all you need. Only one of the u-joints felt like it really needed replacing, but I replaced them all anyway, since I had purchased them. The bad u-joint felt a little notchy when flexed back and forth. Chances are that I could have pumped in some grease and it would've been fine, but as I said, I had already purchased the parts... :D

Gotta love Toyota parts -- the cups were pre-filled with grease, which held the needle bearings in place. It's been over 20 years since I replaced a U-joint -- I think the last time I did this was on my sister's '70 Nova. I don't recall the cups being pre-filled with grease on THAT!

It will be interesting to see if I have solved my mystery clunk. So far I've rebuilt the front axle and replaced all 4 u-joints. This is the "shotgun method" of fixing problems -- just keep replacing parts until you solve the problem. :mad:

Still need to re-align the front end and replace the front brake pads before I hit the road to the GGG.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Nice, I was actually thinking about u-joints myself earlier today...are they also replaceable on a 40 series?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Hulk said:
Replaced all 4 u-joints on the 80 this weekend. Not a terribly complicated project -- sledge hammer and some old sockets are really all you need. Only one of the u-joints felt like it really needed replacing, but I replaced them all anyway, since I had purchased them. The bad u-joint felt a little notchy when flexed back and forth. Chances are that I could have pumped in some grease and it would've been fine, but as I said, I had already purchased the parts... :D

Gotta love Toyota parts -- the cups were pre-filled with grease, which held the needle bearings in place. It's been over 20 years since I replaced a U-joint -- I think the last time I did this was on my sister's '70 Nova. I don't recall the cups being pre-filled with grease on THAT!

It will be interesting to see if I have solved my mystery clunk. So far I've rebuilt the front axle and replaced all 4 u-joints. This is the "shotgun method" of fixing problems -- just keep replacing parts until you solve the problem. :mad:

Still need to re-align the front end and replace the front brake pads before I hit the road to the GGG.

Did you clean out the slip yoke with solvent and a brush? The "mystery clunk" on 80's is usually the front slip yoke and old dirty grease.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Uncle Ben said:
Did you clean out the slip yoke with solvent and a brush? The "mystery clunk" on 80's is usually the front slip yoke and old dirty grease.

No, but I could pull it again.