TV on your PC options?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
The Nuggets are in the playoffs. I'm going to be out of town, will not have a TV but will have internet access. Saturday night is on ESPN. Monday night still tbd, but let's just say TNT for the sake of completeness. Game 5 is Wednesday night (yes, it will go at least 5.. :rolleyes: )

I want the game on my laptop. Which I will hook up to a projector, maybe even hook up to a stereo. The projector, stereo, and screen are already locked in.. so who knows of a good "watch TV on your PC" program? In a brief search I found Slipped Stream http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/slippedstream.shtml but know nothing about it. Looks like most you have to pay for.. I'm in for $10 if this works, not much more though, free would be better. Anyone tried this?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Slipped stream is the only one I've ever heard about. They were doing a radio blitz awhile back but I haven't heard much more lately. Not even sure how it really works. If it was a matter of watching TV at home on your computer then it would be a matter of a video card with a TV tuner deal or a separate TV card. Had that in my old Gateway.

Will be interesting to get your opinion on how well Slipped Stream works if you go for it. To get good streaming video/tv over the web with decent resolution you will need pretty good bandwidth. That may be your biggest limiting factor.

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
I looked into getting a slingbox a while ago. It is pretty cool but you have to invest in the initial box ($150), no monthly fee though. Pretty much you hook up the box to your home system then hook up to high speed on the road and you have access to anything you would in front of your tv. Dvd, taped tivo stuff, satellite, even the vcr if you want. Very cool, but I'm not away from home enough to justify.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I don't think "very high speed" is going to be an option... we'll see. I found a couple others, but may just have to go to town instead.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I second the Slingbox, one of my users has one and he loves it. Pricey at first but then again so is a video card for you laptop. Not sure if you are using this at home or travel? Sounds like you want to make use of the projector to get a larger view. If so either system will work just depends on your budget and willingness to spend.

I don't think there is anything out there that is free.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I think I'm going to just grab a small TV and throw it in the camper, see what happens. If I can just tap into the cable somewhere, or find a friendly RV with sattelite, that'll work much better and probably much simpler to just leave the computer out of it.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Tim,

I've got an old cable-ready 13" Panasonic you're welcome to use.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Thanks, is it white? I may have the same one if so... that's what I was thinking of taking. And a cheap VCR, so I can get to RCA for the projector. Good thing the camper already has a sink, so at least I can leave the one in our kitchen behind. :rolleyes:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
No. It's wood grain. Had it for over 20 years. My wife bought me a flat panel this year to replace it. I don't expect the flat panel to last as long. ;)