tripod/ball head recommendation?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I'm looking to upgrade my current tripod setup. It's the entry level aluminum Manfrotto from years ago(195xl?). It's good, but has a bent leg and with a big lens and battery grip it' just about maxed out for weight with the ballhead I have. full frame body/grip/big lens combo gets heavy. I don't have at 70-200 yet, But someday...some...day...:D

I'd love something lighter and compact enough to more easily hike with or pack in a suitcase for traveling. I've got sticker shock on carbon fiber, but think that's the way to go. What do you guys like/have?

Ballhead...man...my head is swimming with all the options. After fiddling with knobs I think I like the pistol style. Not sure what other things to look for other than weight capacity and things like bubble levels, knobs/dials, pistol grip, etc.

thanks!

I have one I'm looking to get rid of. Gitzo tripod and a Really Right Stuff ball head with a Gitzo travel case. Tripod is aluminum but not compact. I travelled with it over many many miles on a Lowepro pack.

Since I no longer have any Canon gear, it's yours if you want it.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
You have PM..

pm'd ya'...since my tripod is still is fine working order, maybe a better ballhead is all I need?

Snowrun

Hard Core 4+
I have the Manfrotto MH054M0-Q5 054 Magnesium Ball Head and love it. I run it with a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod. It is a very stable platform and works well for video stuff as well as large lens on cameras.