Transporting a LC across country

CBone

Hard Core 4+
I have to get an LC from VA out here to Denver. Any thoughts on auto transport services--I've heard horror stories, but there must be some good guys out there, right? Anyone have a son/daughter at UVA coming home for spring break :)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Try the mudship section on IH8mud.

FJBen

I used www.autotrans1.com they are out of englewood. They were the cheapest out of anyone, got my vehicle quick and unscathed. I also shipped out the HJ45 with that service and he was happy with them as well.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
You can also check out: http://www.transportreviews.com/

On the left you can click on reviews for the past 30 days, 1 year, or 2 years. I don't recall who brought my 40 out from CA but it wasn't 1 company but rather 2, maybe more. At one point I had worked with SMS (top one listed in the above link for all categories) to get a 40 from NH to CO and they were very friendly and helpful although the transport never occurred.

My best advice would be to find someone that is an actual transporter as opposed to a broker (some are both like SMS). A broker just takes some $$ from you ($100-$150 usually) and then 'brokers' the transport out to someone else who you pay in cash directly. Problem is often the shipping quote the broker gives you turns out to be low and they come back seeking more $$ to make the move happen quicker :( - Or the actual transport company shows up saying that you owe 'X' when you thought the price was going to be 'Y' and you don't get the rig unless you pay 'X'. Horror stories abound to be sure.

If you can find an actual transporter that you know will move the vehicle the next question is whether the trip is non-stop or do they take your LC to a "yard", drop it, and then reload it onto another car carrier. Sometimes this is done multiple times and each time there is a chance of damage of course. Obviously one load and one unload is preferred but rare as most companies use smaller trailers to drop a vehicle off in a residential area. Of course this applies to companies that broker out the transport as well.

Word of caution on the above link is that I imagine most consumers don't know about it so those that post feedback are probably directed to do so by the transport/broker company once they know you are happy.