Transmission Jack

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
TheBoomBoom and I are going to replace the slave cylinder in the Bronco. It should be pretty straight forward and the one tool we don't have is a transmission jack. Does anyone have one that we could borrow or know where someone is selling one cheap?

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
All of the rental places offer them for just a few bucks per day. I have an aluminum floor jack made for lifting Harley motorcycles that I use too. It doesnt have the fine adjustments that a real tranny jack has but you're welcome to use it if needed.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
We rented a transmission jack this morning. It is one of the big ones, purpose built for big transmissions. We started working about 9:00 and got far enough through the process to have the transfer case off and have knocked off for the evening. In the morning will pick up with removing the cross member and the transmission.

This is our first time doing this job and there have been a few gotchas along the way. Removing the hydraulic hose connection to the slave was a bit time consuming. We have the special tool, but it really does not easily slide the white plastic unlocking sleeve all the way down. The muffler (custom 3" exhaust) would not allow the t-case to slide back far enough to come off. The mix of SAE and Metric has been a constant battle. The progress is slow, but I do believe we will get it done tomorrow.

TheBoomBoom has been doing most all the wrenching. I've only jumped in on occasion where we are both seeing something that is new and need to consult on what to do. We are both sporting wrenching scratches and bumps.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Removing the hydraulic hose connection to the slave was a bit time consuming. We have the special tool, but it really does not easily slide the white plastic unlocking sleeve all the way down..

i absolutely hate that setup. dodge used that also and it was a bitch when larry and i were getting his car ready for bonneville. we finally just cut the plastic tubing and put it quick connect fittings.