• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Trail suggestions that are both 4x4 and hiking for 2-3 day scout trip?

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
My local scout troop is looking for a hiking and 4x4 trail for a campout trip this summer. Preferably something long enough for 2-3 days camping and hiking, and a trail that can accommodate stock F-150s and GMC Yukons, etc... any ideas?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Middle saint vrain up to coney flats and hike out from there

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
White rim if you don't mind traveling.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The Sand Dunes area is perfect for this. Run Medano Pass, end up at the Sand Dunes.

You can hike up to the top of the dunes and mess around for the day. This is literally the favorite annual BSA troop campout we have every year. We also allow boys who are 13 and have earned the rank of First Class to carry full packs up to camp on the dunes overnight. You can get a permit to do this.

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
By the way, at the Sand Dunes at the top of Medano pass is a great hike to a beautiful lake, if I remember, its about a 6 mile round trip hike.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Dakan via long hollow - I haven't been in a few years but remember seeing a few stock full size trucks out there. Some easily navigated whooped-dee-doos and washes, very straight forward very mild off camber section.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Like around Dakan Mtn?

MSV would be stock friendly to those vehicles? I haven't ran MSV but I've heard it's difficult in some areas?

I was actually thinking that to but I'm not too sure if they are thinking of going out of state.
you could drive in from coney flats, it's much easier.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I'll be meeting with them tomorrow night, I'll let you know what they decide.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Close to Denver I'd recommend Bill Moore Lake, from there you can hop right onto the CDT and some excellent backpacking.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Text sent. My area is little known and I'd like to keep it that way!

Another is the Buffalo Creek Group Campground. You can drive Stony Pass dirt road 4x4 trail in or out.