Trail suggestions for Moab...

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Howdy friends...

Well, Stacy and I are planning on CM07 and I was wondering what trails would be a good fit for my rig?

I would like to run Fins and Things for sure, just to show Stacy "Moab." I had a blast on that run last year.

However the other days I am unsure of what to run.

I can't stand the cliff hangers, and I will still be open front and rear this year. I have 35's and like senery as much if not more than a challenge.

I ran Metal Masher and Elephant hill last year and loved them both. I think Metal Masher was about as capable as my rig/driving skills...

What do you guys and gals suggest? Trying to knock this out today.

Thanks!

Drew

wesintl

RS Moderator
You only ran 2 days last year?

Run hells revenge, kane, poison spider, steel bender is fun, Wipout hill with Tim is fun too.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Nope, ran fins and things... I just want stacy to be able to drive that one this year, so I will repeat it.

I am leaning towards porcupine rim, steel bender and or poison spider mesa? Are they're bypasses on the hard stuff?

Thanks!

Drew

wesintl

RS Moderator
Which one has the "weddgie?"

poison spider which is also the entrance to golden spike.

poison spider is no big deal, steel bender has a good drop that is not bypassable but really shouldn't be an issue for you. Other than that there are bypasses

Personally I think porcupine is lame and it's an out and back. Get there early and run it one afternoon with a couple people and call it good. The overlook of the fischer valley is stunning though.

I say that you have to see Hells revenge, it is a badass trail that you can drive anything on. It has really challenging optional obstacles but like I said, if obstacles are not taken it is very easy. You will hopefully get to see people drop into the hot tubs, And the view and scenery are just amazing.

Hottub :D

hottub.JPG

I ran Steelbender last year for the first time and I must say I was disappointed. It was sort of a long boring trail. A couple of drops and that was about it. It was scenic but I haven't ever been on a trail in Moab where the scenery wasn't fantastic. But I had run Rusty Nail and Pritchett the day before. I was on the trail with you on Metal Masher and I have to admit that trail was a blast that day. Beautiful weather, great people, excellent trail leader, etc... For the easier trails I think Fins and Things can't be beat. Poison Spider would probably be a close second. Kane Creek is sort of fun. You won't pass the CM tech for Hell's Revenge or Golden Spike or I'd recommend those. Neither is very hard. Hell's Revenge is just like Fins and Things only the ledges are longer, steeper, and the drop offs are more severe. I will say this it is good to do Hell's Revenge with a group with somebody who knows the trail well. Being able to see someone in front of you helps on that trail a lot. I tried taking my wife out there solo a few years ago and she freaked out. If it would have been a group I think she would have been fine.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I ran Steelbender last year for the first time and I must say I was disappointed.

Eric, Mr. Rusty Nail, you're in a different class than what he's talkin' 'bout. I ran Steelbender last year for the first time and thought it was a really neat trail.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I like Steel Bender, too. A little long, but scenic and enjoyable.

I don't think so. He was on the trail with Chris and I on Metal Masher. I think Metal Masher is much tougher trail than Steelbender. I think CM should think about adding Rusty Nail to the roster as a tougher trail. At the moment that is my new favorite trail in Moab. It has a few obstacles and some great scenery and then you come out at all the good stuff on Golden Spike. I'm not a big fan of Golden Spike either. My opinion is that trail is way over rated. I think reading about it and seeing it in magazines made it much bigger than it really was. The first time I crossed the crack I was like, "That's it! It looks so much bigger in the pictures". I do think it is one of the must dos though. Unless you experience it for yourself you can't really talk about it. Pritchett Canyon is the nastiest continuous trail I've been on in Moab besides Behind the Rocks. And Behind the Rocks just has that one nasty obstacle. I will never do Behind the Rocks again because I just about wet myself coming down. Once in a lifetime was enough. I've not done any of the real hardcore stuff. I don't intend to. Hell's Revenge is another favorite of mine. I've always been on that trail with great people and on beautiful days with very few problems. I enjoy a trail that has nice scenery, lots of obstacles that are evenly spaced apart, nice weather, and a good group (friendly folks and rigs that don't break a lot). Really the weather and the group can have as much of an effect on the outcome as much as anything else. Metal Masher (CM 06 Sat) although not one of my top trails was definitely probably the best hour by hour trail day I've had in years. I think everyone had a blast that day. Ahhh! I wish I could make it this year. Maybe the job fairies will be good to me?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Eric, basically, our permit allows us to run pretty much whatever is run by Red Rock 4 Wheelers at EJS. I'm not sure Rusty Nail is an official run yet.

Just goes to show you how different people's tastes are. I love Spike. Probably my all time favorite trail. Course I haven't done Rusty Nail yet. :D

I ought to try and do E-Hill, too. Nice and scenic. It's all good! :blah:

wesintl

RS Moderator
That's why you have to do em all once!:thumb: If you rig is capable then drive it, if not ride with someone. Then you go back to favorites :hill: