trail etiquette

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I admit it I can be a total hypocrite sometimes when it comes to sharing the trail. When I'm riding my mountain bike I don't like horses. When I'm hiking I don't like Jeeps. And when I'm 4-wheeling I don't like hikers or mountain bikes. But there's nothing worse than those damn motorcycles and ATV's.

Unless of course, you're on a motorcycle, then perhaps there's nothing better? So ok, now that you've crossed over to the dark side, what do you do so you're not be one of "those" guys?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
ALWAYS pull the bike to the side of the trail, smile, wave, and if a horse is involved SHUT DOWN THE MOTOR. Nothing worse than a guy who may pull the bike to the side of the trail, smile, wave, and sits there blipping his throttle...

Oh, and when you pass a vehicle, you would be AMAZED how little throttle it takes to throw rocks into the windshield of the person you are passing. Or... face of the person on that hated ATV. If you can accelerate BEFORE you pass, then just roll past with the clutch held in, all the better.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
That's good to know about throwing rocks.. but tough to coast by when you're going uphill right? Can still lug it though.

How long should you wait behind a big group of trucks, before you figure they're not stopping and you're better off moving up through them?

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Just like we do, talk to the last person in the group. They may be able to talk to the person infront or close to it. Just apply what we do in trucks to the motorcycle world and you will be fine. But like Bill said keep the RPM's down or off, with the magic button it is easy enough to start the bike up again.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Yeah yeah yeah, you magic button pink panties guys.... :lmao:

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
ALWAYS pull the bike to the side of the trail, smile, wave, and if a horse is involved SHUT DOWN THE MOTOR. Nothing worse than a guy who may pull the bike to the side of the trail, smile, wave, and sits there blipping his throttle...

Oh, and when you pass a vehicle, you would be AMAZED how little throttle it takes to throw rocks into the windshield of the person you are passing. Or... face of the person on that hated ATV. If you can accelerate BEFORE you pass, then just roll past with the clutch held in, all the better.

this :)

and even if you're passing going uphill, most anywhere you pass someone you can easily cruise by without kicking rocks at them. I wait until I am around the corner on my YZ before hitting the gas again :)

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
KTM guys do have the reputation of being rich know it all pricks. I expect you to play the part to the best of your ability. Your outfit should say, "I have the best gear money can buy, but the colors don't match" You're facial expression should be "GET THE F out of MY WAY" people can see the look in their rear view mirror through your goggles and face mask, they will move for you.

The hikers are the worst, who hikes on a road anyway? Get out of the way you yoga pant, hydration pack wearing vegetarian. Put your dog on a leash.

The hikers are the worst, who hikes on a road anyway? Get out of the way you yoga pant, hydration pack wearing vegetarian. Put your dog on a leash.

I also don't understand why people would want to hike a road.

My dog is always off leash in the mountains, but under voice command. I'd go to a local park if I wanted to leash him.

I have thought about leashing the kids though.

baja1d

Hard Core 4+
Just don't do what the last guy did that pissed you off when you were hiking, biking, or wheeling. Dust really pisses me off when I'm hiking and I generally have an idea of my dust's hang time and adjust accordingly.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I have had many hikers truly appreciate my courtesy... which means they don't usually get it from others... :(

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I'm actually a very nice person. I too slow to a snails pace or stop for most hikers.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
We knew that.

You granola eating hydration pack wearing Brit hippie...

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Seriously though, I will admit that by and large, the ktm groups are the least friendly when I am in destination areas like moab or the like. Sad but true in my experience. That said, when out on a ride with a couple of duc groups, two have tended to be rather uppity and hence, I don't associate with those groups.

I think there is a correlation between attitude, affluence and arrogance, and the perception there of.

j

subzali

Hard Core 4+
The herd mentality can kick in sometimes as well...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
That said, when out on a ride with a couple of duc groups, two have tended to be rather uppity and hence, I don't associate with those groups.

I think there is a correlation between attitude, affluence and arrogance, and the perception there of.

j
I know when on my Duc I do tend to look down on you. Obviously your theory on affluence doesn't quite hold...

:lmao:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Do you guys wave to other bikes on the street? I used to, but given the low rate of return wave, what's the point.. :(

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Not very many other motorcycles will wave to a dirtbike on the street, I've found. If they wave first I'll wave back.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I try to wave. Harleys excepted. They generally won't wave back anyway.