Toyota LC 300 Series

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
SUPER not cool Toyota.

I had to sign something similar (an export ban) when I leased a Mercedes. The export ban paperwork needed to be signed on all lease and purchase transactions. Several manufacturers do this because they really really gouge buyers in other markets. A black Mercedes GLS450 will sell in China or Russia for as much as $50,000-100,000 more than they do in the US. The additional price is after accounting for import taxes and as is just additional profit for the dealer/manufacturer. The spec will be almost identical, but it just has the higher price.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
SUPER not cool Toyota.

I had to sign something similar (an export ban) when I leased a Mercedes. The export ban paperwork needed to be signed on all lease and purchase transactions. Several manufacturers do this because they really really gouge buyers in other markets. A black Mercedes GLS450 will sell in China or Russia for as much as $50,000-100,000 more than they do in the US. The additional price is after accounting for import taxes and as is just additional profit for the dealer/manufacturer. The spec will be almost identical, but it just has the higher price.
I think I'd care if I could actually buy a 300 in the US. 🤷‍♂️

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I think I'd care if I could actually buy a 300 in the US. 🤷‍♂️
As a practice, it just makes me dislike a specific manufacturer quite a bit. I wonder if the Lexus version will have this addendum because the, "Land Cruiser could be used by terrorist groups." That would be a great photo seeing ISIS rolling in the new LX. At least they would be going green with a hybrid... :)

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
As a practice, it just makes me dislike a specific manufacturer quite a bit. I wonder if the Lexus version will have this addendum because the, "Land Cruiser could be used by terrorist groups."
I think your original point about it being economic and preventing gray and black market sales undercutting their factory blessed importer has more to do with than anything. I highly doubt any trrrists are looking for leather-trimmed JDM 300s to hack apart to build mobile mortar vehicles when they already have ample supply of any Hilux or 70 series they want via Gibraltar and what-not or for that matter Fords, Nissans, Izusus or whatever else.

Last edited:

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
As a practice, it just makes me dislike a specific manufacturer quite a bit. I wonder if the Lexus version will have this addendum because the, "Land Cruiser could be used by terrorist groups." That would be a great photo seeing ISIS rolling in the new LX. At least they would be going green with a hybrid... :)
In theory, I agree - prohibiting a buyer from reselling something that they've bought and paid for definitely goes against my "free and open market" sensibilities.

But, my original point stands: I can't have one, so I could care less about any restrictions put on those who can have one. This isn't the first time Toyota has done something exceptionally stupid when it comes to LCs...y'know, like not selling the 300-series in North America. :D

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Lexus 300 version sold in US?

No, we won't see the new Toyota Land Cruiser in the US. That's had many fans sad, but we will get the nameplate's luxurious cousin on our shores, and it's coming very soon. On Friday, Lexus announced the 2022 LX will make its debut on Oct. 13.