Toyota 045 white (paint questions)

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Hey all,
Is it actually possible to get Toyota 045 in spray cans & actually end up with a good, durable finish? Or is that a fools errand? Do you always need to order real paint & hardener, and then have it shot via real gun?

And if it can be done, does anyone know where to go to get it?

Long story short, I want to paint some parts to match as well as possible, knowing full well that a real restoration is the solution one day. Would spray paint only complicate things later?
Thanks!
Abe

Crash

Rising Sun Member
45 is readily available at the several paint stores I’ve gotten it at. Not off the shelf but concocted by the shop and can be put into spray cans there. If you’re planning on a resto later then a good sanding would be a part of the deal, right?

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
45 is readily available at the several paint stores I’ve gotten it at. Not off the shelf but concocted by the shop and can be put into spray cans there. If you’re planning on a resto later then a good sanding would be a part of the deal, right?
I tried to get a color matched rattle can at the auto paint store on south Santa Fe a few miles baths ago - the oddball octagonal building that’s been there forever. The guy told me some new law passed a few years ago that cracks down on VOCs and so they effectively couldn’t do color matched spray cans anymore. He also mentioned that “authorities” came to the shop and “removed” the machinery to put paint in spray cans, so maybe it had more to do with that specific shop.

Just putting that out there in case @gr8fulabe has trouble finding a paint shop to do that.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Single part paint (like a typical aerosol) doesn't like to have 2 part (urethane) sprayed over it later. Solvent-based non-curing paints (your aerosol) will tend to crackle and lift if later overcoated by a quality professional automotive paint.

You could always get a half pint or pint mixed up (of a single-stage paint) and some activator, but it'll be more expensive. For small areas, you can use a PreVal sprayer or a small Harbor Freight gun. I have seen incredible results with a PreVal sprayer for small areas.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Single part paint (like a typical aerosol) doesn't like to have 2 part (urethane) sprayed over it later. Solvent-based non-curing paints (your aerosol) will tend to crackle and lift if later overcoated by a quality professional automotive paint.

You could always get a half pint or pint mixed up (of a single-stage paint) and some activator, but it'll be more expensive. For small areas, you can use a PreVal sprayer or a small Harbor Freight gun. I have seen incredible results with a PreVal sprayer for small areas.
Always wondered if you could shoot auto paint with a preval…. Sounds like yes?

Pz10420

Trail Ready
I am very far from being a good painter but I bought a can of duplicolor 045 a few years ago and did the lower half of one of the rear doors on my 80. It came out fine and you can't tell it's been sprayed unless you really look, and the 80 is rarely very clean so that makes it harder to tell. And white is the easiest to paint in my opinion.

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
I have used the cruiser corps spray cans and it gives a good hard finish.