• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Total Solar Eclipse - April 8, 2024 - Planning

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
So you might already know a total solar eclipse is expected on April 8, 2024. https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/future-eclipses/eclipse-2024/where-when/

NASA's interactive map:

What do y'all think? Any good camping and wheeling between Dallas and Cleveland?

I have never driven cross country east of the Denver area. But I'm happy to get lost with everyone here!

And if there's already a thread about this, please let me know. I seem to have a habit of posting and asking questions later 😆

Allen

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm headed back and will be in the Ozarks, very roughly speaking my location is in the southern half of Missouri and the northern half of Arkansas. Having family from all around there and living in the bootheel of Missouri for many years had it's advantages finally.

There isn't 'wheeling like you're used to out here but there are Forest Service roads to be followed.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I think there is some really nice camping down in that SE corner of OK. I have a buddy who grew up there -- I will ask him.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm headed back and will be in the Ozarks, very roughly speaking my location is in the southern half of Missouri and the northern half of Arkansas. Having family from all around there and living in the bootheel of Missouri for many years had it's advantages finally.

There isn't 'wheeling like you're used to out here but there are Forest Service roads to be followed.
Ste. Genevieve, MO is directly in the path of the totality. I might just fly to St. Louis and drive my 84-year-old Dad down to see it.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
I am thinking about going back to Cleveland, I have a friend who has a house on the shore of Lake Erie where we can watch it happen as is goes north over the lake. The problem would be the weather that day. Chance for cloudy skies very high that time of year.

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
Just reserved a parking spot near Kerrville Tx

IMG_0165.png

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Just purchased a solar filter for my big zoom lens from Thousand Oaks Optical. Planning to be in Missouri for this. 📸

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Planning to visit a cousin in San Antonio, TX. Centerline is a short drive from there.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Same. The umbral path center will be right overhead. Hoping for clear skies! We should coordinate.
My parents live in the Wildwood/Ellisville area. We will drive down to see the eclipse, then head home. I've kind of been thinking we'd head to somewhere near Ste. Genevieve since it's only 1:15 from my parents' house, but I'm open to another place to watch if you have a better suggestion. Will need to find a good spot to set up my camera and some lawn chairs.

It looks like the full eclipse will start at 1:59 pm in that vicinity.

There's Hawn State Park down that way as well, but it looks to be a forest which is not ideal.

Last edited:

Ann

Rising Sun Member

Hey Dave! Just starting thinking I will road trip for this event. I am targeting Arkansas - either the Ouchita NF or the Ozark-St. Francis NF. I have never been to AR and want to check it out. Any tips or thoughts for that area of the world?

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
Well Crap!! Over the last 3 days the Euro Ensemble and North America Ensemble weather models have been consistent and in agreement, it looks like we’ll have cloud cover from the Tx/Mx border northeast to southern IL. At this point upstate NY, along Lake Ontario, has the best chance for clear skies. Still to soon to pull the plug on my Tx plans but not to soon to make a plan B.

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
There’s been a SLIGHT overall improvement in the latest runs with things improving for TX and the SW and getting worse for NY. Models are having a difficult time solving for the boot heel of MO. If I throw out the low (17%) and the high (90%) we end up in the mid to high 60’s percent chance of cloud cover And about 50% chance of rain. Best bet at his point, Matt, is to do a YouTube search for “eclipse weather forecast St Lewis“ and see what local meteorologists say.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
DSC00123.jpeg

Southern Missouri