• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Top end rebuild

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Time to tech up this section of the forum with some graphic photos of my work in progress. Purpose of the tear down is to get is ready for the upcoming season. I've replaced the piston and cylinder on the PW-80. Never tackled a 4stroke before. Purchased a timing chain tool and went at it today. Also disassembled the Reklus clutch. I'm about 4 hours into the project. Piston had some carbon I cleared off, cylinder looks perfect to me. The valves/seats look good to me an still have adjustment left in tappets, but I'm sending it out anyway unless someone thinks I'm wasting money. Any feedback welcome.

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 243

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Did you have to remove the brake lever to get the case off? Or do you not have a brake lever since that's what your clutch was?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Any particular reason you are redoing the top end? What are the symptoms?

I've not had the XR650 apart to that degree since 2000 (never in other words). Never even did the KLX300 though I removed the cam compression release and put in a manual and recarbed and reexhausted and...

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Like Tim, I too like to take things apart. Part of what I enjoy about motorcycles is the pieces are small enough to deal with by myself and I can afford the tool and down time on the bike.
Symptoms, Hard to start after events like looping the bike or tumbling down ravines.

Sent the head to Dave Hopkins in WA, to polish and re-valve, about $300.

I've got a JD jet kit and feel I have it set up about right. I've adjusted the valves, a handful of times. Plug looks good to me. I replace them about every 3500 miles
Was the teardown necessary, probably not. But I purchased the bike used with 1,600 miles on it. It's now just over 9,0000. I want to know that I'm good to go for the summer. I believe the service interval is 9,5000 miles for KTM. I wanted to give it a good clean and replace any worn parts.

List includes, rear wheel bearings and seals, Chain and sprockets, plastic chain guides around swing-arm, upper shock bearing, kickstart seal, carb cleaning and re-jet.

There is a little more drag in the Reklus than there used to be, inspected clutch plates/carrier for wear or anything out of the ordinary.

Mostly just giving it a good look through.

Tim I removed the brake pedal last summer when I changed the clutch cover gasket(big one) I punched a hole in my clutch cover last summer and am installing a new one. I think the foot brake is unnecessary for me and is just waiting to punch another hole in the cover when it's on there.

It there somewhere to get carb breather/overflow tubing in bulk instead of the $80 KTM set?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
It there somewhere to get carb breather/overflow tubing in bulk instead of the $80 KTM set?

What's special about that tubing compared to fish tank hose, or something else you could get at the Depot? Is it higher heat resistance or something? I discovered two of my lines are cracked, down at the bottom of the carb where it all scrunches through some tight opening. Thought about replacing it, but then thought what difference does it make if stuff oozes out there, or 3" lower? :confused:

edit: Like here's a 50' role for $31.. did I guess correct on 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD?

Attachments

• tubing.JPG
    tubing.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 229

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
yea - I just used the bulk clear tubing from the hardware store on mine. Nothing special as far as I can tell....

So are you replacing the piston/rings, or just having the top end cleaned up?

60wag

Rising Sun Member
You want the tube to be fuel resistant. The stock tube is polyurathane. The hardware store tubing (tygon) is pvc and is not very fuel resistant. I bought a 10 ft length of tube from Sun. It wasn't really cheap but its less than KTM OE

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
10K miles, yeah, that makes sense. A few years ago I went through the XR pretty thoroughly though not a top end tear down. The chassis, including swingarm bushings, bearings, etc, definitely needed it and they tend to ship from the factory with, um... 'minimal' grease.

Guess I'm old school on clutches and foot brakes. Made the big switch from left to right after the Bultaco and I think I still have active synaptic paths from that one. :lmao:

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Cleaned the box. There is a good amount of wear on the aluminum subframe where it meets the plastic. I carry a good sized fender pack that rattles the rear fender pretty well.

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 210
  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 228

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
more progress, top end is back. New valves, and cam bearings.

Attachments

• valves.jpg
    valves.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 216
  • topend.jpg
    topend.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 220

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Purty. I remember when watercooled first came out, I hated it because they looked like water pumps, not motors. Which they kinda are...

Ah well things change.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Head is back on. Not torqued yet, but back on. I ran out of time before having to pick kids up from ice skating. This parenthood thing can get in the way sometimes. Having a ring compressor was a must. Made it much simpler. Also picked up another spark plug wrench. I've lost 2 tool bags and their content in 3 seasons now. Current bag is bolted on and I've taken to carrying "b" grade tools on trail. Water pump slides onto the camshaft you see sticking to out of the pic on the left.

Air cooled is children's bikes and for riders that dress like pirates. Not for rock crawling machines.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Sweet, I love building top ends for bikes. Huge return for the investment. I can't wait till you fire it up. Breaking in a new motor is one of the things that makes me happiest. It's the only time you actually have to be "nice" to a motor, and it's all so you can flog it later.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I didn't replace rings, piston, or cylinder. Just valves and cam bearings. Do I still have to be nice to it? Did gaskets to, so maybe I should be kind of nice. Please school me. What is the break-in process? Drive easy for 50 miles and check valve clearances? I change oil about every 10 hours of riding. Oil is shared with engine/clutch/tranny. Uses about a liter.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Fresh oil, don't overheat. I take it easy for a bit, change oil (especially if you have a liter capacity!!!) and flog it still not overheating. Heat is the enemy. You are basically micro work hardening the surfaces so heat is a killer.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Did you use the the Kibblewhite valves? I had Dave H use those when he did my head. So far, the valves have needed no adjustment.

Have you run it yet?

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
More progress. Skiing and Snowboarding in the 60 degree weather are getting in the way. Clutch cover o-ring arrived today so I have all the parts to fill it with fluids.

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1349.jpg
    IMG_1349.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 185

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
reklus z-start clutch :)

Attachments

• IMG_1352.jpg
    IMG_1352.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 183

rover67

Rising Sun Member
lookin' sweet dude.

I'd probably just run it easy for the first tank, then check valves, change oil, and rip it up.

did you have an auto clutch in there before?

The bike I got has an auto clutch and a left hand rear brake lever. still kinda getting used to it.