to build or buy

acon40

Banned
So i picked up that Outback Roof Rack of craigslists. It's got the mounts for 100 series, but he only wanted $500 so why not. Now, i called Slee, but he won't sell the 80 mounts by themselves. So I am going to fire a email off to the company to see if I have any options, but to? I don't have the tools to do it so I would have to bug one of you guys from the board, but I would make it worth it......thoughts?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So you're looking for some custom gutter mounts?

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I am totally enjoying in and all things welded right now. I love the old Con-ferr Bulldog clamps, they can be copied very easily.I would be glad to help Tim, just give me a hollar.

acon40

Banned
Rez,

If you are game, I would love to bo it. Beer on me and snack hahaha....yea and the damn materials too...

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well Nathaniel has already got these designed, ready to placed into an order to be stamped out and made. IIRC the cost was around ~$20-$25 per clamp, but varied quite a bit based on how many was in the order. To do it right, you need 6 of them (3 per side). Maybe it's time to finally put together a group buy and get these going, I'd probably be in for a couple.. I'll shoot him a PM.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok any/all new interst please direct those to the new "group buy" thread- looks like we're about there with covering the minimum, but still plenty of room for more to play. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4925

Acon, how asap do you need these things, you got a big trip planned or something? I could probably loan you mine until our new ones come in, or just loan you my Conn Ferr, etc. I sure don't need a roof rack over the next two weekends.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I'm interested in those 100 series mounts if you end up getting the rack.

sleeoffroad

Hard Core 4+
Alex, we do not sell the mounts on their own to people that do not own a rack. The reason for this is that we import the racks and a certain number of fit kits. If I sell all the fit kits, I will be stuck with racks without feet. A lot of people want to buy just the fit kits since that is the difficult part to make.

Typically we will sell a set of 80 and 100 mounts to the same person if they have both trucks. This case is a little different, so we will sell the fit kit since you did get a rack, even if it was 2nd hand.

I believe when you spoke to Ben he mentioned that he has to check with me if we could do it.

acon40

Banned
Hey thanks for the input. I was under the impression that he couldn't sell the mounts and I agree 100% as to why not to. On a imported part I understand how you could get stuck with it and I don't blame you. I must have missed that part about asking you as I don't remember that, but regardless I was not worried or upset. Just made a call to see if it was even a option. I will contact you Thursday.