• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Tires: Certificates for Free Replacement?

I'm putting some 285's on the 80 and decided to go with the Nitto Terra Grappler AT's. Discounttiredirect.com seems to have the best prices and the shipping is free. I'm debating whether or not it's worth it to get the certificates for free replacement? At $22 a piece, it's not a huge chunk of change and "seems" worth it if one gets destroyed somehow, but I'm wondering if everybody else has gotten them and if there are any reasons not to? Is it worth it?

Oh yeah, the truck will see the trails, but will also serve DD duty.

Thanks in advance for replies, and I'm looking forward to CM08 :beer:

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
It's like insurance, Discount bets you won't use them, you bet you will.

They usually run about 13% of the retail cost per tire so on a set of 5 you will pay about 65% of one replacement tire up front. That is a hefty price for insurance. If you need a replacement, the tire is free but you pay for a new cert.

That being said, I always get them and they have more than paid for themselves. I have used them at least once (twice on my Lexus) on every set I've bought. They even did a free valve stem replacement when I ripped one out on Holy Cross.:thumb:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I recently bought two sets of tires at Discount and learned this: When discussing the "certs" tell them that you think you will pass on them. On two different occasions with different vehicles and two different sales guys, I said that and they both responded that if I bought the certs they would not charge me the standard mount and balance fee. Cut the cost of the certs in half.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
cheap insurance...I always get them. make sure they have the Nitto's in stock in the size you need, I ended up with 305's, nothing else was in stock, but I love them. :)

I figured I should probably get them for $22 a piece.
Timbuck2 - regarding making sure they have them in stock, I'm actually ordering them online from discounttiredirect.com. The shipping is free and I don't have to pay sales tax on them either. I believe with everything... 5 tires with valve stems and the certs for free replacement, shipped, came to $840. I'll then have to pay 20 bucks a tire to have them mounted and balanced, so figure another 100 bucks. Even then, it's still $100 cheaper than going straight to the discount tire down the street here...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You might ping Tramontana about mounting those yourself.

Nice of me to volunteer him, ain't it? :hill:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I figured I should probably get them for $22 a piece.
Timbuck2 - regarding making sure they have them in stock, I'm actually ordering them online from discounttiredirect.com. The shipping is free and I don't have to pay sales tax on them either. I believe with everything... 5 tires with valve stems and the certs for free replacement, shipped, came to $840. I'll then have to pay 20 bucks a tire to have them mounted and balanced, so figure another 100 bucks. Even then, it's still $100 cheaper than going straight to the discount tire down the street here...

I took the discounttiredirect quote into my local discount tire and they matched it. About what you are getting charged...

awesome

I took the discounttiredirect quote into my local discount tire and they matched it. About what you are getting charged...

Wow, that makes this even easier. The only part that was going to suck about doing this whole deal online was loading up the tires myself and driving to discount tire! I'm gonna get on the horn and see if I can get one of the discount tire shops with the 285's in stock to honor the discount tire direct price. Thanks again!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You'll have to pay tax though.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I had the same tires for 45K. Got a punctured sidewall at 35k. New tire, only had to pay the $22 to insure it. Figure 5 tires 22 each = $110 plus $22 for the replacement. $132 for a new tire and peace of mind if I got another flat. Worth it to me.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
The only problem I see with the certs for us 80s guys is the small issue of AWD and different size tires...

That said, when I bought my Toyos I bought the certs and figured if I ever had to use it then the replacement tire would become my full time spare depending on age and amount tread of the other tires. For now I just do a 5 tire rotation of the tires a couple times per year to insure they are all about the same tread depth.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Getting ready to head to the meeting when a $50 discount coupon from Discount Tire hits my inbox. Will copy and bring to the meeting!