• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Tire deflators

Which tire deflators do most use. I am leaning toward Staun but wondering if the dial type with the air guage on the hose would be better. Any input will help, thanks.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I have staun, and there ok. For years I have kept a valve core tool (available at ANY auto parts store) screwed into an extra valve stem in my center console. Simply unscrew the core, put your gauge on when you think your close, and viola; deflated tire. WAY faster.

Oh, and you never know when you will need a spare valve stem eh red chilli?

j

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I've got Staun as well... they work great but these things are way over-priced IMO. I split a set with 60wag, so we each have 2. That solution has worked well, I've never been the last one aired down holding everyone else up, there's always someone else chasing down a dog or taking a piss or doing something else- wait, that was me. But if you have deflators you can do all that crap while your tires are deflating, they're definitely worth having.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've got a couple of sets of these screw on deflaters. You get four of them and they screw together to become one small unit, about the size of a cigarette. These cost $10 at most 4x4 shops. They're anodized aluminum and come in different colors.

They simply screw on and start deflating your tires. Unlike the Stauns, they don't stop -- eventually, they will deflate your tires completely, if you leave them on.

But they are still way better than kneeling and deflating each tire individually. You can do all 4 tires at once, and then walk around the vehicle with a tire gauge to see where you're at. You can check the pressure without taking them off. Once you're down to 10 lbs (or whatever), you simply unscrew 'em and replace the valve stem caps.

They work great, and the price is right. :thumb:

Darren

I've had the Stauns for a few years and they work fine, but they get pretty slow around 15 PSI and painlessly slow around 12. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will be getting the Currie E-Z Deflator. They go for $30. They pull the core out (and can remove it altogether if desired) which goes extremely fast, as mentioned, and you can immediately check the pressure. Definitely faster than 4 Stauns going. The only advantage the Stauns, or similar, would have is that it would allow you to stand around and talk to others if you're on a group run. I would prefer not having to wait if it's not necessary.

Last edited:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Darren said:
I've had the Stauns for a few years and they work fine, but they get pretty slow around 15 PSI and painlessly slow around 12. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will be getting the Currie E-Z Deflator. They go for $30. They pull the core out (and can remove it altogether if desired) which goes extremely fast, as mentioned, and you can immediately check the pressure. Definitely faster then 4 Stauns going. The only advantage the Stauns, or similar, would have is that it would allow you to stand around and talk to others if you're on a group run. I would prefer not having to wait if it's not necessary.

I have the Currie and it's awesome!

The Currie looks pretty good. I like tha idea of the Staun "set it and forget it" approach but I wish you could just leave them on so you didn't have to wait. I am leaning towards the Currie right now. Thanks for the help.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I haven't tried my Stauns lower than 15PSI, I normally run 17 on my 40 and 20 when I had that heavy truck. They work just fine at those pressures, and I like the way they are adjustable for different rigs.

Well, I ordered the Currie. Thanks for everyone's input. :cheers:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Snorkel 1 said:
Well, I ordered the Currie. Thanks for everyone's input. :cheers:

Great choice! At first it will be a little tight but after just a few uses you will be very happy with your decision! :thumb: :cheers:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
green machine said:
I have staun, and there ok. For years I have kept a valve core tool (available at ANY auto parts store) screwed into an extra valve stem in my center console. Simply unscrew the core, put your gauge on when you think your close, and viola; deflated tire. WAY faster.

Oh, and you never know when you will need a spare valve stem eh red chilli?

j
I use the cheapie screw-ons and like 'em.

Oh, and as far as spare stems..... since I relocated my stems beyond rock reach, no es necessario. WFLLT.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
WorkFineLastLongTime. Learnt it from a guy I worked with, who would conclude a service call with that pronouncement said quickly and with enthusiasm. No matter how much baling wire was involved in the fix...